Transmission

milo7

Transmission

Postby milo7 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:39 am

Hello @ all,

well I am new to amahi, but I am knowing transmission pretty well.
Got a simple question. As Transmission is free to use, why do they charge something throught the amahi side?
Just don't understand that, Transmission is also free for ubuntu, or did I get something wrong?

Thanks for explanations

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Transmission

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:05 am

We have some apps that have a convenience fee. This helps offset costs incurred for operation of Amahi and its infrastructure. Some of the cost is also passed along to the app author as well. Many of them choose to give it back to Amahi, but we do provide them the option. The way I look at this is it's a cost for a service, which is what Amahi provides. A viable home server solution mostly for free I might add.

There are only a select number of apps with a nominal fee. Users are not forced to purchase the pre-configured apps. They can choose to manually install and configure themselves. There is usually guidance in the Amahi wiki or on the internet somewhere that describes the process. Most choose the apps for convenience, especially those with little or no linux experience.

Hope that helps clarify your question.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

milo7

Postby milo7 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:51 am

Most choose the apps for convenience, especially those with little or no linux experience.
Like me ;)

Got it installed and also the win remote gui. How do I connect to my server now, if I use the ip and the user and password of my hda it says connection refused. Do you have some experience with that?
Also noticed that the hda is only running with 10 mbit, usually was 100 mbit... :?:

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:24 am

Use the web link provided with the app. Also might wanna check out the wiki for guidance.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Transmission
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

milo7

Postby milo7 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:18 am

I wasn't satisfied either and I don't like the web interface. So I am trying to get it this way:

http://www.webupd8.org/2009/12/setting- ... ui-in.html

Still got connection refused error. Going to work it over again. Once it was running on last install, I liked it pretty much, much more options than in the web interface

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:50 am

Please check the /var/log/amahi-app-installer.log file for errors. I have tested this several times with no issues. What may be needed is to uninstall, reboot, then reinstall.

Also some times an app needs a minute or two to settle before trying to access it. Any other details you provide would help us diagnose your issue.

You can also manually stop/start the service via CLI.

Code: Select all

service transmission-daemon start

service transmission-daemon stop
This has to be done as root (Ubuntu precedes the command with

sudo
)

Please let us know how it goes and hopefully we can assist with resolving your issue.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

milo7

Postby milo7 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:45 am

What may be needed is to uninstall, reboot, then reinstall.
could you please provide me the uninstall command? No glue how it might be.
Thanks

milo7

Postby milo7 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:02 am

well I did'nt install the app, only installed the transmission-daemon...

Just read in the link above, that I also have to install the client and transmission-common, my fault :oops:

Client throught the app, correct? Transmission-common I found here:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywo ... ection=all

Guess I have to take "quantal" (the one with the highest number)...

Did I get it right now?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:32 pm

If you install the Amahi app, the rest should be installed by default. I believe Transmission may already be installed in Ubuntu anway.

When you install the app, it installs the daemon which typically installs anything it needs, to include the transmission app.

If you are still having problems, please attach the amahi-app-installer.log in the /var/log folder to help with troubleshooting.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:17 am

I see some errors in the log file, but near the end it looks like everything installed fine. I don't recall if you are using Fedora or Ubuntu? Also did you install anything manually?

The parts of the log with admin:admin concerns me. Is that your first user? I am glad to help, but need to understand what you have done so far to try and see if it can be reproduced. So far, I cannot reproduce issues on Fedora or Ubuntu.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager