Transmission

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Transmission

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:01 am

Adding the additional repo is not necessary as all three of those packages are available in the normal Ubuntu repo. Not sure why you did not see them.

Once you have this working as desired, we would appreciate if you could add some guidance to the wiki for others to use.

Moving the files may be permission related. Check the permissions and ownership of the files.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

wobbly

Postby wobbly » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:09 pm

please give info if you get it working thank you ....

gorillazgr

Postby gorillazgr » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:17 pm

hi guys!

being thrilled from Amahi and although a Linux user-newbie (doing stuff from time to time) I have done a lot of research regarding Amahi use etc. I must say I am still using Fedora 14, as I am waiting for the UBUNTU edition to be more... stable.
Among others, a thing to save costs and make work more efficient for the whole family was my will to make transmission run as a service but with all the current updates. I found out that the original Transmission-OneClick-Application trough Amahi, has still some things to be corrected but anyway, doing things personally and not "fast food" it makes tha journey more interesting.
Thanx once again for all the effort and posts that are written in these forums and the wiki.

so , doing enough reading for understanding CLI commands I managed to load transmission as a service (daemon) and there was no need to make my Amahi-User "auto login" with the Fedora GUI (in order to start automatically the program itself).

well my basic guide was this URL: http://www.webupd8.org/2009/12/setting- ... ui-in.html
and finally this for understanding how to manage fedora services you could take a glance at the following url: http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-f ... vices.html.

Just to make things more clearly I did everything as root: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Open_Terminal_as_root

Firstly I removed everything regarding transmission just to be sure by giving as root the following command:
yum remove transmission-cli transmission-common transmission-daemon
then i (re-)installed relative packages:
yum -y install transmission-cli transmission-common transmission-daemon
after installing the packages and before setting up our daemon, for more info/experienced user, you could give the following command in order to see what other attributes are:
transmission-daemon -h
If you type (always as root) the following command:
transmission-daemon -f
you will see that the daemon will start but as "root" user and it will use the "/root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json" file. This is normal in order o test it. But in order to edit the real daemon you have to type:
service transmission-daemon start
Cause I am no linux expert to understand all the proccedures, I have to state the following. After you start the service for the first time you have to stop it again:
service transmission-daemon stop
Then we have to force the service to start anyways even if we don't want to log in at the GUI (if we are using it).
To do that you can use the menu System->Adminstration->Services.
I just made a snapshot:

This means that after a clean restart of the Amahi server , the transmission-daemon will start itself in anyways.

Now it's time to edit the settings.json file (ALWAYS WITH THE DAEMON STOPPED !!!!).
All the settings can be altered any time you would like by editing the settings.json file, but always after we do stop the daemon by giving
service transmission-daemon stop
It's very easy even with GUI, if you have installed the "beesu" commands. (Without GUI interface you could edit the files by typing: nano /root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json )

So by hitting ALT+F2, and after entering your root password, a windowed command line opens , we type beesu nautilus in order that the file manager opens as root. After that find the home folder for the Amahi user (for me was /home/mediabox) and hit CTRL+H in order to see hidden files. Under the .config folder you will find the Transmission-Daemon folder and inside that, the settings.json file. Double click, hit display and so now you are able to edit that file as root.
***TIP***
in order to be sure for what I was doing, I copied the same commands to the /root/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json file.
If you will use from a windows machine the Transmission GUI Remote client, it's better to edit the following lines:

"rpc-authentication-required": false,
"rpc-enabled": true,
"rpc-password": "",
"rpc-username": "",
"rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1",
"rpc-whitelist-enabled": false,

Of course you can add any username/password you like if you want to add extra security. In my case I don't think a great matter having extra security, especially when non experienced family members are involved. These credentials are only to be used accessing transmission-daemon either trough web-interface or through transmission_GUI.

Other command you can alter by following this guide: Edit Config Files

Finally save the file. Then start and test the service by typing: service transmission-daemon start

You can also find how to download/install/setup the Transmission GUI here: http://code.google.com/p/transmisson-re ... loads/list

hope I help other colleagues for further use.
best wishes and greetings from Greece for all of you !!!

p/s: editing: Finally I made it clear to make it text while doing it together in my Amahi-Server
Last edited by gorillazgr on Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
My HDA:
AMD Athlon(TM) 7550 Dual-Core Processor@1.25 GHz,
ASRock 960GC-GS FX board,
1024MB RAM + 4GB swap,
SATA 60GB(SYSTEM) + 2TBx3(POOL),
Gigabit Network,
Amahi7.1 (Fedora19)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:23 pm

Awesome tutorial. Would it be possible for you to add this to the Amahi wiki? It would be useful for others.

We try to make the wiki our repository for tutorials and guidance vs the forums. So much easier to find things in the wiki.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

gorillazgr

Postby gorillazgr » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:22 am

How Can I add this info to the WiKi , now that I am sure I made a correct text ?!
My HDA:
AMD Athlon(TM) 7550 Dual-Core Processor@1.25 GHz,
ASRock 960GC-GS FX board,
1024MB RAM + 4GB swap,
SATA 60GB(SYSTEM) + 2TBx3(POOL),
Gigabit Network,
Amahi7.1 (Fedora19)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:54 am

Go to the wiki site and request an account. The approval is done within hours most of the time. Then you can update the existing Transmission page.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Transmission
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

snakey147

Postby snakey147 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:07 am

Hi,

I've installed the Transmission app under Ubuntu, the daemon looks to be running ok.

I'm trying to change some settings in the settings.json but my changes get overwritten every time I start the daemon up!

I've tried editing (as root) /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json and /var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/settings.json and I lose my settings from both files on starting the service.

I've tried stopping the daemon before I edit but that made no difference.

Is there a different file I should be modifying for a default install of the App package on Ubuntu?

cheers!

Rich

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:12 pm

There is a known bug in the software, or at least it appears to be one. I did some research a while back and found out how to make settings stick.

I do not have the link saved, but it was a simple search of the internet to find the solution.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

snakey147

Postby snakey147 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:01 am

I figured it out....

In the /etc/defaults/transmission-daemon file, there are some parameters passed on the command line when the daemon starts. These overwrite whatever is in the /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json. I changed the /etc/defaults/transmission-daemon file and all is good.

When editing the settings.json the service must be stopped (which will require the watchdog to be switched off in the Amahi control panel)

cheers :)
Rich
HP Proliant Microserver running ESXi 5.0 with Amahi 6.2 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:53 am

Glad you got it sorted out. Would you mind updating the wiki guidance to reflect the procedure? We would greatly appreciate it and beneficial to the user community.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager