email server

keka

email server

Postby keka » Mon May 11, 2009 1:17 am

Hi

A colleague of mine just gave me a tip of Amahi and I must say it seems to have a lot of potential. But I have this question:
Will Amahi come with an email server (preferrly with webmail support) ??

Other than that I like it allready and I havent even installed it yet. Hope someone could take some time to answer, I would really appreciate it !!

best regards

Kent

moredruid
Expert

Re: email server

Postby moredruid » Mon May 11, 2009 2:30 am

basically it already comes with an e-mail server (included in the base install of Fedora), however Amahi is not configured for it, nor does it configure the mailserver for you. This has to do with a couple of things:
basically you don't want to open your amahi box to the internet, a mailserver would do this and if an exploit is found all your data might be in the open. Also you'd need a valid domain name that resolves MX traffic to your home server.

you can however use fetchmail to periodically get your mail from your domain, and retrieve mail from your local systems from the server. i'm not sure how it's done, but cpg has asked me a similar question IIRC, and the answer should be on this forum somewhere.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

keka

Postby keka » Mon May 11, 2009 3:34 am

Hi moredruid

Thanks for your quick reply. I have static IP address and a domain registered with it ( and an MX )so that's why I want the possibility to use an email server. So from that point of view - how would you go about this ?

best regards

Kent

keka

Postby keka » Mon May 11, 2009 3:35 am

basically it already comes with an e-mail server (included in the base install of Fedora), however Amahi is not configured for it, nor does it configure the mailserver for you. This has to do with a couple of things:
basically you don't want to open your amahi box to the internet, a mailserver would do this and if an exploit is found all your data might be in the open. Also you'd need a valid domain name that resolves MX traffic to your home server.

you can however use fetchmail to periodically get your mail from your domain, and retrieve mail from your local systems from the server. i'm not sure how it's done, but cpg has asked me a similar question IIRC, and the answer should be on this forum somewhere.
Hi moredruid

Thanks for your quick reply. I have static IP address and a domain registered with it ( and an MX )so that's why I want the possibility to use an email server. So from that point of view - how would you go about this ?

best regards

Kent

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Mon May 11, 2009 10:29 am

I have static IP address and a domain registered with it ( and an MX )so that's why I want the possibility to use an email server. So from that point of view - how would you go about this ?
ok. you know what you're doing then. :)

in answer to your question, an email server will come. for sure. it's often requested.

it's a slightly complex setup to make it one-click, so we need to work on it.

the way to speed this up is this:
  • install it by hand in a more or less generic way or keeping in mind what to absctract
  • document it in the wiki so that it can be automated
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Mon May 11, 2009 11:00 am

I think there are too many variables to automate this very well. I also think it's beyond the scope of a "real" user: telling them that they must modify their MX record to point at their dyndns name... If I drop that line by my girlfriend I get a blank stare :lol:

It does have its place though, and I think an advanced user would appreciate a walkthrough in the wiki.

setting it up: here's a tutorial...
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Mon May 11, 2009 11:19 am

agree, it's a bit unwieldly. i should know :)

maybe a how-to in the wiki is a step, for advanced users.

i don't know about outgoing email, considering the spam controls, etc. i do know that i will never ever ver go back to sendmail. postfix is the way.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Mon May 11, 2009 12:01 pm

true, sendmail can be quite a beast (click here for non-believers ;)

postfix is a drop-in replacement for sendmail, but much easier indeed.

keka

Postby keka » Mon May 11, 2009 10:53 pm

I think there are too many variables to automate this very well. I also think it's beyond the scope of a "real" user: telling them that they must modify their MX record to point at their dyndns name... If I drop that line by my girlfriend I get a blank stare :lol:

It does have its place though, and I think an advanced user would appreciate a walkthrough in the wiki.

setting it up: here's a tutorial...
Luckily enough I happen to put my MX at a SPAM server I control so that's not a problem. Thanks for the info. I'll be seing forward to that email server bundled with amahi then. Talk to you later !!

:)

Kent

rgmhtt

Postby rgmhtt » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:00 pm

basically it already comes with an e-mail server (included in the base install of Fedora), however Amahi is not configured for it, nor does it configure the mailserver for you.
I have been off doing other important things for quite a while, but I will be working on my AMAHI setups for the next couple weeks. I have to build a box for my son to cart home this week, for example!

Mail server is very important to my. I have been running SCALIX for some time.

Anyone who would recommend sendmail as a way to support mail is REALLY trying to scare people off. There are good alternatives. Now SCALIX is definitely on the large side, and I really want to replace it. Right now I am 'stuck' looking at SME as a way to get mail. With the latest version of AMAHI providing a PDC, SME is practically off my radar, other than email server. And even SME presents problems for me, as it will not allow you to have email to the same user name in two different domains (I have sub domains like labs.htt-consult.com and my username is a valid email address in all of them).

So I really need to get a viable solution to the email. Mid-October availability would work for me :)

No really, I will look around and see if there is something I can recommend.