Amahi Netboot PXE resurrection

taa

Re: Amahi Netboot PXE resurrection

Postby taa » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:03 am

Thank you for your reply, and I completely understand. :) I did not realize there are only 3-4 volunteers, but it certainly comes across that these are 3-4 dedicated volunteers. :D

Can you point me to one or two wiki pages that would be a good example of how it is desired to break out the differences between Ubuntu and Fedora?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:49 am

These pages should give you some idea on the break out.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Hosting_a_website
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally

Thanks for understanding. We do try, but it's hard to manage a full time job, family, and Amahi sometimes :) I don't get to do as much as I want.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

damonq

Postby damonq » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:00 pm

taa,
welcome to the world of pxe/net-booting. You may soon feel more inclined to just use usb sticks, but it can be pretty useful. Sorry I haven't been using amahi for some time until recently so some things on the wiki are dated, I just setup up a new Ubuntu install and am in the process of testing, so the wiki for netbooting may be updated and expanded soon. hopefully!

Questions/Inquiries
1. Is there a reason syslinux 4.05 is specifically mentioned? Can later versions of vesamenu.32 be used?
2. The page mentions, "Get syslinux 4.05. Problem is it comes with 2231 files and we only need a few" but from what I can see only vesamenu.32 is needed for the tutorial. What are the other "few" needed?
3. I'm confused by the term "Layered Menus" -- does this just mean menus with sub-menus?
4. The tutorials were written for fedora not ubuntu
5. Fedora 14/Amahi require 384MiB for graphical install
Answers
1. At the time 4.05 was the most recent, later versions are much better. booting .isos didn't work almost at all. I've been testing with 6.01 and its great.
*Note you should update all the files in the tftp directory with the corresponding newer ones or you may get errors.

2. At the time I was hoping to add more entries to the wiki, with more functionality that require other files from syslinux
3. layered menus=submenus

4. The tutorial was written for amahi on fedora(14) because there was no amahi-ubuntu. I'll update the tutorial soon.
I just checked the only command line entry specific for fedora is:

Code: Select all

yum -y install amahi-netboot​
Actually its the only command line entry in all four pages!
In Ubuntu the equivalent:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install amahi-netboot
but if it's not in the ubuntu repo it won't work anyway.

5. The entry about the memory requirements was not about partedmagic. I meant to say that if you try to install fedora on a computer or virtual machine with less than a certain amount of memory it will give u a txt based install (ubuntu alternate-install cd or ubuntu-server install cd) rather than a "fancy" gui menu install like the regular ubuntu-desktop(live) cd. I'll try to clarify that.

If you have any questions comments, feel free to ask and I will try to help.
Just so I can answer appropriately and maybe direct you to proper resources
What were planning/wanting to pxe/netboot and why?
It can be useful in some areas but not so much in others

Check back periodically, and hopefully I will be posting more info. In the meantime google is your friend. :lol: