OpenVPN ALS: Router does not support Port Translation

Antonis78

OpenVPN ALS: Router does not support Port Translation

Postby Antonis78 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:51 am

Hello

I have installed the paid app OpenVPN ALS and when I tried to make the port forward mentioned in the wiki (in order to be able to access my files through the internet), I realized that my router does not support the forwarding of an external port to an internal one. Is there another way to set up this app, so I can access it through the internet (outside of my LAN)?

Thank you

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: OpenVPN ALS: Router does not support Port Translation

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:09 am

What brand of router do you have? Some routers have similar features of port forwarding listed as virtual server.

The only way to access this app outside your network is to forward the applicable port to your HDA IP that I am aware. I suppose you could try installing an additional Dynamic DNS such as no-ip.org and that may allow you to access without forwarding the port.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Antonis78

Postby Antonis78 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:57 pm

Thank you for the reply. My router is the NETGEAR DGND3300 and it doesn't seem to have the option of Virtual Server, either. Could you elaborate on the no-ip.org option? At the router settings I see an option for Dynamic DNS service and I think it mentions no-ip.org, so what do I have to do?

Edit: At the Dynamic DNS page of my router I can only see one service "www.DynDNS.org". Will that be a problem?

ghstryder

Postby ghstryder » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:18 am

Hmmm. Check the Port Forwarding screenshot: http://www.pcwintech.com/screenshots-ne ... r-firmware

I suppose it is possible that a version didn't have PF, but that would sure seem odd to me. Perhaps a visit to the Netgear forums?

Antonis78

Postby Antonis78 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:53 am

There is an option for port forwarding but it does not give me the option to forward an external port to an internal one. At the Aldito wiki I saw that you must forward the 4434 external port to your HDA's 434 internal port. This option is not available at my router (at least not at the screenshots or in any obvious place).

Could someone explain to me how does the Dynamic DNS option work? What do I have to do?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:32 am

If you can not forward one port to another, that is ok. Just add port 4443 and your HDA IP address. Then from outside your network, you would enter something like the following:

https://user.yourhda.com:4443

Replace user with your amahi.org username and that should give you access to the app.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Antonis78

Postby Antonis78 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:20 am

ok, I will try it and post the results.

Thank you

UPDATE: it worked, thank you very much. I can access my shares through the Adito page without any problems. Now all I have to do, is figure out how to access my apps (although, that is not essential at all).

I think you can mark this topic as solved!!!

Thanks