Amahi Web Apps Proxy?

aphex242

Amahi Web Apps Proxy?

Postby aphex242 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:27 am

I just installed Ampache and I've been banging my head trying to set it up so I can access it outside my network. I have everything set correctly, but when I try to hit it, I get the Amahi Login page.

It's my understanding the Amahi Web Apps Proxy tool solves this, but it's in Alpha so I can't access it. Any idea when this is going to make its debut? My whole purpose for installing Ampache is for the "play anywhere" functionality, so not being able to access Ampache remotely is pretty much preventing it from meeting my needs.

I know it's possible through OpenVPN, but my android phone doesn't support that unless I root it, and I'm not interested in doing that while my phone is still under warranty, if you get my drift.

Thanks. Love Amahi, but some of these types of issues make is very frustrating to work with. It makes a whole lot of stuff way easier but in some cases, like this one, it makes it harder, too.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi Web Apps Proxy?

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:32 am

Hello,

Not sure when Amahi Web Apps Proxy will be available. It does not work with all apps, so may not help you anyway.

Did you follow the wiki page?

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Hosting_a_website

If so, then we need to investigate further. I have set up apps using this method and can access them outside my network no problem.

I presume you also did the port forward on your router to your HDA IP. If you could provide more details on what you have done so far, we might be able to help resolve.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

aphex242

Postby aphex242 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:59 am

Sure, and thanks for the help!

I did forward port 80 on my router, since that's the port Ampache apparently uses. I hadn't followed that link's instructions (because frankly I didn't know I needed to, I thought the 1-click install of Ampache would allow serving externally after a simple forward).

I'll do that now, and I'll get back to you. Thanks for the heads up :)

aphex242

Postby aphex242 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:39 am

Well now I can access it in a web browser but it doesn't appear to work using purpose-written apps on Android. If I login on a web browser using my yourhda address it works fine. If I use any of the three different android apps specifically for streaming they all fail due to a variety of login issues. It's strange. I can't figure out what's wrong, I'm using identical logins in both places, and I've got the ACL settings in Ampache set identically for both web based and streaming based connections.

Seems like there's something odd going on.

Edit: I should point out that logging in using my phone's browser works fine too.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:51 pm

This app may only be designed for web browsers. We do not typically package apps that are for phones. Most Amahi apps for for the browser.

You might check the Ampache web site to see if they offer a version for phones. They might also have some info on using the app for phones as well. If you have any success, please consider adding something to the wiki.

You might consider looking there too for any help. Its http://wiki.amahi.org
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

aphex242

Postby aphex242 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:44 pm

The app is a server that hosts music to a variety of network-enabled devices. For PCs, a web browser works, but there are streaming plugins as well for winamp and other music players. In my phone's case, I can stream using the web interface but it is brutal to use on such a small screen.

Ampache (out of the box) supports APIs that allow 3rd party apps (like the ones on the Android Market) to interface directly with an Ampache server (the 1-click server you offer).

From Ampache's site:
Ampache is a web based audio/video streaming application and file manager allowing you to access your music & videos from anywhere, using almost any internet enabled device.
These apps work fine for most people running Ampache on Linux. This leads me to believe that there is a problem specifically in the Amahi implementation of said server.

Sadly I'm not enough of a Linux guru to figure this one out, far from it. I've spent hours today on it and am no closer.

The android app names, if you're interested, are Amdroid, Lullaby, and Just Player. People report success with all 3. I can't get any to connect properly using the same credentials that get me in through a web interface.

Maybe when Subsonic gets out of beta it will work. I frankly don't know what else to do at this point. I do appreciate the attempt at assistance!

livesonwater2632

Postby livesonwater2632 » Fri May 13, 2011 12:07 am

I have had no problems connecting to Ampache on my server from Ampache Mobile on my Palm Pre. I would recommend that you set up a free DynDNS account specifically for connecting to ampache. I just use that DNS name instead of the yourhda.com name when following the instructions for hosting a webpage. Also, are you sure that you have set up an Access Control List to allow your phone to connect using the remote API? You would need to allow any IP addresses that your phone would be coming from.

aphex242

Postby aphex242 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks, yeah I made sure the ACL is allowing all IPs, I didn't think of trying the dynamic DNS instead of yourhda, but I'll give that a shot. Given that it's just doing IP resolution though, I can't imagine it'll make a difference.

aphex242

Postby aphex242 » Fri May 13, 2011 10:35 am

Woah, it worked. Is it even possible that using a different DNS entry would have an effect? I'm so totally puzzled by this. Thanks for the help!

livesonwater2632

Postby livesonwater2632 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:06 pm

Woah, it worked. Is it even possible that using a different DNS entry would have an effect? I'm so totally puzzled by this. Thanks for the help!
Glad to hear you were successful. The reason I use a separate DNS address for ampache is so that I can keep my yourhda.com address for the web apps proxy. I was just assuming that having yourhda.com point to two different webapps (ampache and the proxy) would cause problems. Unfortunately both my knowledge and experience with this sort of thing is VERY limited.