Transmission added to storage pool problems

inquam

Transmission added to storage pool problems

Postby inquam » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:53 am

I added /var/hda/files/torrents to my storage pool to be able to have my torrents using the storage pool and not filling up my sys drive. But I seem to have run into a bit of problems. If Transmission pauses a download greyhole will move the file out to the storage pool. It also sets the owner to root of the link and after that Transmission can't continue. Since Transmission adds it's own folder under files I thought that this issue was already dealt with by Amahi, but I was misstaken. I guess one way would be to mount the torrents share localy nad use that mount when downloading the torrents. But feels like a bit of a dumb solution. Is there any best practice solution to this? I guess I'm not the first one using my Amahi to download torrents and whant it to use the storage pool.

Is there any possibility to have Transmission move finished downloads to another folder? (Like uTorrent can). In that case one could download andw when finished move it into a folder used by the storagepool.

Is there any known good script (or I'll make my own) to scan a given folder for pictures, music and movies and move them to specified folders? In that case one could even have a download folder for the torrents and then move them all out to their correct folders when done.
Would actually be a nice feature to have in the torrent client. Setting "move" when downloading a torrent and having it placed in the "movies" folder when done. Selecting music on a download and having it moved to the "music" folder when done etc.

One quick a dirty way to do it would probably be to set up a script to run this a regular intervals in the torrent download folder

rsync -rvt --include='*/' --include='*.avi' --include='*.mkv' --exclude='*' . ../Movies/
rsync -rvt --include='*/' --include='*.mp3' --include='*.ogg' --exclude='*' . ../Music/

etc
My HDA: Q6400, 8GB ram, 2x1TB disk in raid 1 for system drive, 6x2TB drives for storage

hexidecimal

Re: Transmission added to storage pool problems

Postby hexidecimal » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:51 pm

With Transmission setup I changed the default download location to a folder called \\hda\var\files\Downloads and set it accordingly in Transmission. I then made sure to set access to that folder to Owner, Group (users) and Other all to Create and Delete files.

Since the folder itself is just being referenced in the drive pool and Greyhole has read write access it should just work. At least it has in my experience. Shouldn't matter what drive the files are on as long as you're pointing to the \hda\files directory and you are sure you've added the folder into the pool in HDA Setup.

jaffa

Postby jaffa » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:40 pm

It's my understanding that writing and reading from the file location, as opposed to the samba share, is a bit of a no-no. I tried to get transmission to seed files I had in /mnt/Samba/Software but it said it had no access. I added the transmission-daemon user to the users group (because I couldn't work out the correct way to change permissions on the files in the share, heh) but that didn't seem to work. I can't seem to find a log file for transmission either but it seems not to create one by default. I even tried setting the download location to //hda/Software and it seemed to start downloading but I couldn't find the file it was creating.

Any ideas?

doczombie

Postby doczombie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:33 pm

I had the same problem.
Initially, I had the torrents share mounted as /mnt/torrents. I used chmod 7777 (to hit user, groups, other and all - not too worried about security for that folder) on the /torrents directory, but transmission still wouldn't write to them.

After reading this, I used \\127.0.0.1\torrents (the loopback interface followed by the samba mount) in transmission. The downloads went ahead, so they were clearly going somewhere, but it sure wasn't the torrents share.
To be sure it had actually gone through properly, I stopped the server, and checked the /var/lib/transmission/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json file. The entry for download directory was now \\\\127.0.0.1\torrents.

I allowed the file to complete, and it still wasn't anywhere to be found.
The settings file had the incomplete directory as /var/lib/transmission/Downloads, so I went looking.

in /var/lib/transmission, there was no Downloads directory. There was however a directory entitiled \\127.0.0.1\torrents, and inside that my file.

Long story short, don't set the download directory in the GUI preferences as any sort of windows share, you'll only confuse yourself.

I'm still trying to get this working, will update here if I figure it out.
"Well, if its my delusion, who the hell invited you?" - Total Recall