Transmission settings.json

scara1701

Transmission settings.json

Postby scara1701 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:33 am

I am having trouble with internet disconnects when using transmission. I suspect that I have to many connections at the same moment. So I decided to limit the number of peer connections in my settings.json file. However when the amahi-transmission service is restarted the entire file seems to be reset to the default settings. Of course this is something I do not want. How can I prevent this from happening?

sachinwfs

Re: Transmission settings.json

Postby sachinwfs » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:20 am

I'm attempting to do something similar:
  1. Transmission Remote GUI - I'm trying to allow other machines on my network to log into the transmission-daemon through the program. This requires that I modify the rpc-whitelist as well as at least use the rpc-username and rpc-password.
  2. IP Blocklist - I'm trying to enable the IP blocklist updater. This would mean adding blocklist-updates-enabled boolean to the file.
It looks like anytime I change the file, which lives at /var/lib/transmission/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json, it gets reset back to defaults.

I'm not sure how to solve this. I did a find|grep in the /var/hda folder to look for anything that says transmission, but couldn't find any settings. I know the transmission-daemon takes some command line arguments, so maybe we can add some amahi settings that would allow us to change the daemon command line?

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:37 am

I recall something about this.

Try searching the bug tracker for transmission related issues.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

sachinwfs

Postby sachinwfs » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:31 pm

I looked through the bugs at the given link, but I couldn't find anything comparable to my current problem. It seems to me that the configuration for Transmission should be similar to that of uShare. For ushare, there's a file at /var/hda/apps/ushare/ that contains configuration information. When the service is started, that information is read and the corresponding settings are set. (This is done in /etc/init.d/amahi-ushare)

I may have a workaround for this problem for transmission. There is a service file for transmission at /etc/init.d/amahi-transmission. I added the following line that mirrors another referencing the blocklist. All it does is adds my subnet to the rpc-whitelist so I can use the remote GUI.

Code: Select all

sed --in-place=.bak -e 's/"rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1"/"rpc-whitelist": "127.0.0.1,192.168.1.*"/' /var/lib/transmission/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json
I'm not too familiar with linux, but I'm sure this solution is very brittle and will almost certainly break with the next update. Maybe the developers can copy the setup that ushare has?