My first steps in using SAB on Amahi, in need of help

muppets4

My first steps in using SAB on Amahi, in need of help

Postby muppets4 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:24 am

For years I was using Windows Home Server, but the recent edition lacks the Drive Extender functionallity, so I went on the net to find alternatives. And now I've found it in Amahi that uses Greyhole. Great. But I am also making my first steps into the Linux world and that doesn't seem as easy as presented on the Amahi homepage, so I am left with some questions regarding SAB.

I have bought SAB through the interface and now have version 0.5.5. My first question is how to update this to a more recent version?

The second is: it's installed on 'file system' witch only is 14,2 Gb in size. I have 5 hard drives in my system. Amahi sees them all and uses them for the pool. If I point SAB to the location of my pool (/var/hda/files/Downloads), it reports 620Gb free size (first drive) instead of the 6TB. Is that an error in just the report of the size? Or am I really limited to the first drive?

I hope that someone can answer these questions. Please bare with me as I am only into my first few Linux hours.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: My first steps in using SAB on Amahi, in need of help

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:03 pm

Hello,

We are currently testing the new version of SABnzbd. If you want to manually upgrade, you can follow the guidance in the wiki.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Sabnzbd

As for the Downloads folder, is it listed as an Amahi share? If so, the it will use the pool. Make sure you have the share set to use the pool. If it is not, then it does not know the pool is there.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

muppets4

Postby muppets4 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:40 am

Thanks. The update procedure doesn't seem too complicated (-;

The share is using the pool, so my guess is that what SAB is reporting isn't the real available space. I'll know in time.

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:44 am

/var/hda/files/Downloads is not the pool. It's the landingzone HD, which is part of the pool. That's why it only reports 620Gb.

There are a few issues with this:

1. if /var/hda/files/Downloads is not part of the greyhole pool, you can write the files directly there and also modify them. It will also correctly been seen as a share. In this case, it's fine.

2. if /var/hda/files/Downloads is part of the GH pool, then it is safe to write new files there. But you should not modify the files or rename them before running a greyhold check with "greyhole -f" manually. Otherwise there's a high risk of messing the files up, especially when you rename a file, or delete it and copy a new version with the same name on top of it, etc... My GH lost several files this way until I learned how to do it properly. (yeah this sucks when you loose a new 40Gb download. It happened to me, 2 times until I learned better :cry: )

3. if you want to access the shares properly you need to mount the shares locally like this http://wiki.amahi.org/index.httpsphp/Mo ... es_Locally. Download will then be in /mnt/samba, you will see the full 6Tb of free space, and GH will not mess your new files up if downloads is part of the pool. I have set this to be started automatically on boot, so that amahi has the shares mounted by default (windows home server also does this by default, I don't know why the amahi devs chose not to do it, it only adds more unneeded complexity for the new user; and new users are losing files due to this - I did).

edit: BTW, I have installed SAB as per the SAB wiki on http://wiki.sabnzbd.org/, this way I always have the latest version from the sab repo when I do a system "yum update". There's no need to wait for the amahi devs. The service also starts at boot, its perfect.

muppets4

Postby muppets4 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:01 am

Thanks for the detailed description. That's what I need. I had to manually change settings in smb.conf yesterday (Gigabit network isn't expected I guess) and it took me back to those wonderfull DOS times.

I'll look into it tomorrow. Time.......

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:22 am

FYI

The latest Amahi version of SABnzbd is being finalized. We hope to release it in the next several days. For those who do not want to wait, the wiki mentioned in bigmango's post above is fairly simple.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

muppets4

Postby muppets4 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:07 pm

And how will that be done? Presented as an update for the people that allready bought it I hope?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Yes, we will most likely replace the code in the current SABnzbd app with the new code. We are switching from an RPM to the source version. This will make upgrading simpler for users and me for the app store :)
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

muppets4

Postby muppets4 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Trying to copy sabnzbd new version over the old version won't work for me. The old folder is 'owned by root' and I am logged in as my regular user. Is there a way to change user while staying in the desktop envirement?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:40 pm

Is this the Amahi version or one you installed yourself? Its best to change ownership from command line. Not sure if it's possible to do it from the desktop, never tried.

As root user, do chown -R apache:users . from the directory with the files.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager