uShare / PS3 - FYI Important!!!

swanee

uShare / PS3 - FYI Important!!!

Postby swanee » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:28 am

I went through a recent head bashing trying to get my PS3 to see my HDA, and thought I could save someone similar grief.
The problem was not my HDA setup or the ushare setup, but my router!!! My router, a Thompson STS585 DSL modem/router/wireless router does not work wirelessly to DLNA servers, but will work wired!!! My final proof came when I ran a long ethernet cable between the PS3 and the router. I reset the network connections on the PS3 and allowed it to automatically configure itself. Bang! Both my HDA and my WinXP system showed up on the PS3 screen where days of messing around with a wireless connection failed. For a double check I disconnected the wired PS3 and reconfigured it for wireless operation. It finds the internet fine but no DLNA servers!!! Put the PS3 back in wired connection and the servers came back. During this process there were no changes to firewalls, router settings or server settings. I realize I am pointing a finger at the router when the problem could potentially be the PS3, but I have the latest system software, and there do appear to be a number of people on the PS3 forums that have this working in a wireless configuration.

I am going to go back through my uShare installation process to confirm if the changes I made to the ushare.conf file are a part of why this works. It wasn't easy as a noob to discover how to access the file, alter permissions, make the "required" changes and save. This will be useful documentation as I couldn't find it all together in one spot. Will post this another time.

BTW I looked at photos and played music from the HDA on the PS3. Cool!!

cpg
Administrator

Re: uShare / PS3 - FYI Important!!!

Postby cpg » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:27 pm

wow. coool that you got it sorted out. could you add it to the ushare page?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1