Plex server is useless if it can't be updated

mikelemire

Plex server is useless if it can't be updated

Postby mikelemire » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:58 pm

My plex clients can't connect to my Amahi Plex server because the version is too old. Following advice to not update manually lest breaking things. Understand Plex licensing is troublesome for the Amahi team but you should probably remove Plex unless it can be fully supported with updates.

Am I wrong? :ugeek:

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Plex server is useless if it can't be updated

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Understand Plex licensing is troublesome for the Amahi team but you should probably remove Plex unless it can be fully supported with updates.
We do not intend to remove it from Amahi! If you choose to use the app, that's great. If you want to update the app manually, that's your choice but understand you do so at your own risk.

Best way to keep it updated is by submitting a bug report for new versions. Keep in mind the update may take a few days, depending on our workload.

Understand we have a few hundred apps to maintain, so trying to keep them all current is a herculean task. We try to stay on top of updates, but often it's difficult with such a small team. Also we only update apps for the latest Amahi release, which is Amahi 11 on Fedora 27.

If you'd like to help keep it updated, we are always looking for users who can lend a hand. It does require some advanced linux skills, but can be easily taught if you are interested.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

modem7

Re: Plex server is useless if it can't be updated

Postby modem7 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:54 am

I do this quite often as Bigfoot said (e.g. https://bugs.amahi.org/issues/2368) and they're usually pretty damn quick about it tbf.

If I knew how to package it and help out with this, I would happily do it on their behalf to lower the workload.

Edit:

Just realised I necro'd this. Sorry - my offer above still stands of course.