CLOSED: Plex not seeing shares

jkbuckethead

CLOSED: Plex not seeing shares

Postby jkbuckethead » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:26 pm

I recently upgraded from Amahi 7 to 8. With amahi 7 I used the Plex one-click install, but I was annoyed by the constant upgrade available message. This time I decided to try manually installing the latest version from Plex. I followed the instructions here https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Plex_Media_Server only changing the version to match the latest and greatest.

The server appears to be working, but I have a problem when I try to create libraries. Using the amahi-plex with amahi 7, Samba shares appeared in the file browser when I was adding folders to the library. I selected the shares there, and everything worked fine. Now, I don't see shares so I don't see a way to select them. Is there a step missing from the instructions?

Since I'm in a different version of amahi and plex, I don't know where the issue might be coming from. One thought I had was that I need to mount shares locally so Plex can access them. I did not do this manually with the old version, but it could have been handled by the one-click plex install. I'll give this a shot if necessary, but didn't want to mess with it if wasn't the cause.

jkbuckethead

Re: Plex not seeing shares

Postby jkbuckethead » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:08 pm

I don't know if it is the right answer or not, but I went ahead and gave the mount shares locally a shot. I followed https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally, and now I can select my shares inside of plex.

Just thought I would post in case anyone else has the same problem.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Plex not seeing shares

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:39 pm

That is the correct step for your situation.
I did not do this manually with the old version, but it could have been handled by the one-click plex install.
In order to work with files locally when using Greyhole (i.e. not going through Samba), you must use the mount_shares_lcoally script.

This is not installed by any application and must be installed manually as documented in the wiki. Maybe it was not necessary since you used the Amahi version then or you installed it but did not recall doing so.

There was very little difference if any between Amahi 7 and 8 in regards to this area so not sure why things are different. Maybe there it's something to do with permissions or the fact it's not an Amahi supported version of the application.

BTW, it would be most helpful if you could add this to the wiki. That is our primary source of guidance.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2