Plex post-install confusion

kaidukhanne

Plex post-install confusion

Postby kaidukhanne » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:13 pm

Hello,
I recently decided to take the plunge into making my hda a (hopefully remotely accessible) media server with Plex.
The one-click seemed to go fine and I get connected to plexms without issue.

My first surprise was that I had to create a Plex user (rather than using the existing HDA accounts). Are all the accounts with Plex or are they local on my server? I don't want to be locked out of my server if Plex.com or whatever is down.

Second surprise was that it is asking me to sign up for "plex premium" for .. well, I'm not sure what I get with it. Anyone have experience with the difference? Recommendations? I don't want to pay someone a monthly fee to access my own server and my own files. Even if the suggestion is to use another media server and kiss the 7 bucks good by, lol.

Third is that it sounds like I'm going to need to setup mounting my samba shares locally before I can add media and maybe change permissions on the files (or at least add the plex user). I can probably muddle through these, but it would've been nicer to have a note about that along side the disclaimer about no-support-from-plex. Choosing to spend a few dollars (not much really, but I already donate monthly to Amahi) for the "one-click" made me think it would be simpler that it's turning out to be.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Plex post-install confusion

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:49 pm

Have you checked out the Plex page in the wiki? BTW, this link is provided in the Special Instrucitons area after you install the app.
My first surprise was that I had to create a Plex user (rather than using the existing HDA accounts). Are all the accounts with Plex or are they local on my server? I don't want to be locked out of my server if Plex.com or whatever is down.
That is with Plex.com, not local to the HDA.
Third is that it sounds like I'm going to need to setup mounting my samba shares locally before I can add media and maybe change permissions on the files (or at least add the plex user). I can probably muddle through these, but it would've been nicer to have a note about that along side the disclaimer about no-support-from-plex.
Every user has a different setup and not all use Greyhole. So adding this to the disclaimer is not pertinent in our opinion. There are other users in the community who can help with this I am sure if the wiki does not provide the assistance.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2