Plex not showing data if logging in from the main page

cpg
Administrator

Plex not showing data if logging in from the main page

Postby cpg » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:00 am

We started noticed an issue with the Plex Media Server, where logging in with

Code: Select all

http://plexms/
does not seem to get the media to the user, e.g. TV shows. First, plex (or PMS, more precisely) does seem to the take the plex pass login either way, it just that going through this front-door, it does not seem to "be able to connect to this server" on the left side.

However, going through

Code: Select all

http://hda:32400/web/
it all works well, and shows, movies, etc. can be added and streamed without an issue.

Any ideas why this might be?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

skyhopper88

Re: Plex not showing data if logging in from the main page

Postby skyhopper88 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:51 am

I just noticed this on a fresh Amahi 8 Install (installed the app manually since the amahi package isn't ready yet). Actually I prefer the manual install since I'm a plexpass subscriber but hopefully this is sorted out either way. Seems the server can be queried but the server isn't advertising itself? I haven't moved my data over to rebuild my libraries yet but maybe I can copy config from my old install and figure out how to restore it. I'll report back if I find anything. But someone more knowledgeable may have better luck.

Edit: When I went to http://hda:32400/web/index.html#!/settings/server/
I logged in with my Plex info it didn't log in here). I gave it a friendly name and it now properly shows up under plexms. Not sure if that'll work for you.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:33 pm

Great. Thanks for reporting back on this. We will put it in the wiki.

I would like to ask for one clarification (because I do not have a PMS nearby to check): by friendly name, can you explain what did you choose? anything specific or the name you picked matched something, or something generic like "hda" or "amahi" .. or ?

I don't quite understand why this is, though this leads me to believe it's an app issue perhaps?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

skyhopper88

Postby skyhopper88 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:12 am

I used a generic name, it's definitely app related. Anyway the name is used to advertise the plex server to plex users, be it yourself or a user you share your library with. I chose "skyhopper88's Amahi" to advertise to my coworker he should be using Amahi instead of Windows server :P. He runs pfsense and I almost had him messing with linux on an rpi. So close....

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:04 am

I updated the Plex Media Server wiki page with this work-around.

skyhopper88

Postby skyhopper88 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Minor correction, it's not so much giving it the friendly name (you'll want that too or it'll just say 'LOCALSERVER') but logging in to your Plex account on that settings page. This signs you in to advertise the server on your account, whereas logging in from anywhere else seems to just be client side. It used to do both, again app related.

In other news I just applied for wiki edit access.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:56 pm

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I assume you will change it. I am not much of a PMS user.

Sorry for the hassle to have to verify for wiki access, longer bio, manual approval, etc. Otherwise we were losing the wiki to spammer overruns.

skyhopper88

Postby skyhopper88 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:07 pm

Got it changed. And no worries on the verification. I get enough spam in my email and have seen plenty of wiki vandalism to understand why it's needed.