adding PlexMediaServer, manually through command line (on Amahi7-Fedora)

gorillazgr

adding PlexMediaServer, manually through command line (on Amahi7-Fedora)

Postby gorillazgr » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:42 am

This is a quick note on how I did install manually the PlexMediaServer (not the webapp) on Amahi7-Fedora
I did this because I am using in my family this application a lot and I would like to have access to all the updates by the Plex Community.

The following guide assumes you understand a bit of linux command line programming, plus having access to amahi7 server at least through a terminal (ssh).

<<....content removed....>>

See Source Install in the Amahi wiki for details.
Last edited by gorillazgr on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My HDA:
AMD Athlon(TM) 7550 Dual-Core Processor@1.25 GHz,
ASRock 960GC-GS FX board,
1024MB RAM + 4GB swap,
SATA 60GB(SYSTEM) + 2TBx3(POOL),
Gigabit Network,
Amahi7.1 (Fedora19)

gorillazgr

Re: adding PlexMediaServer, manually through command line (on Amahi7-Fedora)

Postby gorillazgr » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:55 pm

ok, this goes for the admins

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

is it possible that the next day that I have installed manually my plex server, Amahi has by it's own will, updated to the amahi-plex web app???
I was trying to understand why nothing was working as it should be, when I got this message:

Code: Select all

Cannot install package plexmediaserver-0.9.12.4.1192-9a47d21.x86_64. It is obsoleted by installed package amahi-plex-0.6-1.x86_64
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
My HDA:
1024MB RAM + 4GB swap,
Gigabit Network,
Amahi7.1 (Fedora19)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:09 pm

You will have to uninstall amahi-plex and exclude it from updates in the Amahi repo. You should be able to easily find the guidance on the internet.

BTW, we have moved your guide to the wiki. Forums is not the place for tutorials. We prefer them be maintained in the wiki for easy search and retrieval. Please make future updates there vs the forums.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

gorillazgr

Postby gorillazgr » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:14 am

You will have to uninstall amahi-plex and exclude it from updates in the Amahi repo. You should be able to easily find the guidance on the internet.

BTW, we have moved your guide to the wiki. Forums is not the place for tutorials. We prefer them be maintained in the wiki for easy search and retrieval. Please make future updates there vs the forums.
well , I did not put it at first place in the Wiki (I do have an account), because I would like to test it and be sure 100% that what I did, it works.
my only question was that , although I did not install the amahi-plex (my amahi is a fresh install), it seems that the system somehow acted by it's own and replaced the original plexmediaservice with amahi-plex.
You think this is possible?

thanx again.

ok , so I think I found an answer about "exluding" the update in this topic: viewtopic.php?t=5181

so I will have to add the information about excluding the auto-update in the amahi-repo in the Wiki

Edit /etc/yum.conf and add the following at the bottom :

Code: Select all

exclude=amahi-plex
My HDA:
1024MB RAM + 4GB swap,
Gigabit Network,
Amahi7.1 (Fedora19)

gorillazgr

Postby gorillazgr » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:31 am

for anyone that lands in this topic I have to inform that the Wiki as of today, has been updated

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Plex_Media_Server

and the information added on how to install PMS from source has been tested with success

thank you
My HDA:
1024MB RAM + 4GB swap,
Gigabit Network,
Amahi7.1 (Fedora19)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:19 am

It's good idea to get have an account for users who have contributions such as yourself :)

When adding things to the wiki that are still being tested, you can put a note that it's a work in progress.

As for the automatic install, that may be by design for those that had the old RPM installed to get the new one automatically. This one has been a lot of work for the staff with the constant changes and how it affects the Amahi system. Uninstalling it was removing some packages that were dependencies of other Amahi apps.

The guidance you found to prevent it from installing should work fine. Thanks for updating the wiki.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2