SOLVED: DLNA connection and database problems

AndyBel

SOLVED: DLNA connection and database problems

Postby AndyBel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:22 am

Hi again.

I'm trying to get the DLNA service to run smoothly, however I'm running into a couple of problems that I can't seem to get answers for when searching the net for them.

1) - on the Internet Radio in the kitchen (a Pure Sensia radio) on the media server option it seems to disconnect from the server, and then refuse to reconnect (with a cannot locate server message) until you reboot it. Then it only stays connected for a short while before disconnecting. I'm not sure that the fault lies with the radio at the moment as before I was using a USB stick in the back of the router as a media server, I wanted to change as that only had a 5000 item limit, which isn't much. I've changed the radio from a dynamic to a static IP with no success. It shows up on the miniDLNA page, though it has no connection to it listed. Also, I can't read the error logs to see if anything has failed - I get permission denied (even as a root user).

2) - the DLNA database hasn't updated successfully and has items listed that have been deleted. I've tried restarting the server with no result.

Any help in fixing these errors would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Andy

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: DLNA connection and database problems

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:40 am

It very well could be the client device that is having connection issues based on signal strength.

As for the database, you could try the following:

1. Stop DLNA

Code: Select all

systemctl stop minidlna.service
2. Delete database files

rm /var/cache/minidlna/files.db rm -rf /var/cache/minidlna/art_cache
3. Start DLNA database

systemctl start minidlna.service
4. Show DLNA status

systemctl status minidlna.service
I would suggest you disable watchdog via the HDA dashboard, setup, servers tab for DLNA before beginning the process. That will prevent DLNA from automatically restarting while you perform the clean up steps.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

AndyBel

Postby AndyBel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:45 am

Hi Bigfoot65. Thanks for your helps so far.

I've followed your instructions and the database seems to have cleaned up now.

I'm getting a signal strengh of 100% on the radio - it's practically the other side of the wall to the router!!! I've moved the media server though and I've connected it the router directly rather than via a homeplug network so hopefully that may improve the situation (though the player did have trouble connecting again initially). I'll monitor the situation and see what happens. The radio uses 802.11g - though I doubt that this would be the problem. The router is 802.11ac, dual-waveband, with all other devices operating in 802.11n on either channel.

The radio reports on miniDLNA as Generic UPnP 1.0.

Could the server itself be a problem? It's a Toshiba Libretto U100 with 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD spinning at 4800rpm and a Pentium M 1.3GHz processor.

Andy

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:50 am

Sounds good.

I would not think it's the server.

There are so many devices that can receive audio streaming, but not all are DLNA compliant. There are some devices that just don't work as they should.

Since your Amahi issue is resolved, I will close this one out. Should you need further assistance, please start a new thread.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

AndyBel

Re: SOLVED: DLNA connection and database problems

Postby AndyBel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks Bigfoot65

Just doing some more troubleshooting - I've turned off the routers media server in case there was a conflictthere, I'm also trying Subsonic before the trial runs out in case the problem lies with miniDLNA.

(which reminds me - I'm on my Kubuntu PC at the moment, however Windows Media Player on my Win 8.1 laptop complained that it couldn't access the tracks via DLNA as well - I'll try to access them again later).

I'll update any results later.

AndyBel

Postby AndyBel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:43 pm

UPDATE:

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong between the radio and the server - Subsonic runs absolutely fine (though that will change come late April when a fee gets charged for DLNA).

miniDLNA again cut out, and is still refusing Windows Media Player with the message "The Remote Media library aid not allow the connection".

Looks like I need to look again at the configuration - though every time I try and look at miniDLNA.log for errors I get a "permission denied" message.

At least I know where to look to fix it now...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:49 pm

Try reading log as root user.

Odd that it works fine with Subsonic. Maybe a permission issue wit files.

Do you use Greyhole?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

AndyBel

Postby AndyBel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:56 pm

I've just tried reading the log as Root - still get Permission Denied!

I don't use Greyhole - I don't think it's even installed (unless it's done it automatically).

The Subsonic app wouldn't stream until I gave the Guest user access to the music files via it's app page - I've been thinking there may be permission issues somewhere. Especially if WMP doesn't want to play ball either!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:00 pm

That is odd.

Check the file ownership permissions. They should be your 1st admin user:users. The directories you point too for DLNA should be in /var/hda/files.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

AndyBel

Postby AndyBel » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:28 pm

All the shared file folders have the correct owner and permissions.

The minidlna log file is only 83 bytes!

I'm at a complete loss at the moment!