SOLVED: DLNA connection and database problems

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: SOLVED: DLNA connection and database problems

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:26 pm

I am as well.

I have not had any issues with DLNA.

Maybe consider an uninstall and reinstall of the app.

Is this Amahi 6 or Amahi 7?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

AndyBel

Postby AndyBel » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:41 am

I'm using Amahi 7 on a Minimal install of Fedora 19 (because the PC is x86).

I'm looking into problems with the router (an Belkin AC1200) as well - I've just disabled it's firewall for the moment to see what happens.

I tried reinstalling the app, that didn't work. I've also tried re-installing the entire server (in case something went wrong originally) - that hasn't worked either.

I don't really want to try another router (a Netgear-based Virgin Media Superhub - in operation in modem-only mode at the moment) as that is in the 198.168.1.x range and the Belkin is in the 192.168.2.x range - nothing would be able to see the ip-hard-wired router!!

I'll see what happens with the router off - though Windows Media Player still can't access the files. Even stranger Windows 8.1 it sits on can!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:23 am

Ok, sounds good.

Definitely odd behavior.

Most routers can be configured to use a different subnet (i.e. 192.168.x.1). Mine can, but it's a Cisco. Might check to see if it would allow you to change it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

AndyBel

Postby AndyBel » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:02 am

It seems to work much better with the router firewall off, it hasn't disconnected yet (though there seems to be some faulty tracks in the library I need to look at I think - faulty metadata I think and tracks that have moved as they ended up in the wrong place). Looks like I will need to port-forward the port in the routers settings I think! Am I right in thinking it is port 8400 for DLNA?

Strange you'd have to open a port on the firewall to allow connection on the same side to communicate!!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:32 am

Yea a firewall can definitely cause issues.

There is no need to forward a port if it's inside the network. Doing so will expose your server to the internet. Not a good idea unless you know what you are doing and willing to accept the risk.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

AndyBel

Postby AndyBel » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:26 am

Apart from Port Forwarding, I can't see how I can get everything to communicate via miniDLNA through the firewall. Also, I don't want to expose ports as well.

I'm just checking on GRC.com how secure my system is without it on, and because the router responded to a ping it has failed! So it seems the firewall needs to be on.

The question now is how to allow the ports to be opened on a Belkin router while not exposing the port (and UPnP) onto the Internet.

That may be for a different forum!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:58 am

Port forwarding exposes the port to the internet, not the network. The port should already be exposed to the network unless the firewall on the router or a device is stopping it.

Typically the firewall on a router is to keep outside traffic on ports out and inside traffic in.

There could be a firewall issue on the Windows client that is causing a problem with that piece. As for the DLNA device, if it works partially then it's not a firewall issue. It's a connectivity problem. Doing a port forward will not change that issue.

There may be a process for exposing that port in the firewall for internal devices. You would need to check the users manual for the router.

I personally do not like Belkin routers. I have had nothing but problems with them, to include connectivity issues. I got rid of mine quickly and got a Cisco Linksys model that has worked quite well.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

AndyBel

Postby AndyBel » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:16 am

I'm starting to dislike this one - now I know why it was the cheapest 802.11ac router on the market! At least the signal strength is better than the router the ISP gives out!

Why Belkin thought it would be a good idea to block ports inside the network, meaning to open them you need to port-forward is beyond me. Unless there is a hidden UPnP setting which has been missed! Because the main setting is enabled already!

I've forwarded 8200 TCP and 1900 UDP (or as Belkin calls it - set up a virtual server) and checked the security on the ShieldsUp! page of grc.com - security wise it seems to be the best solution with only 8200 visible but closed. 1900 was in Stealth and all other tests (including the UPnP test) passed as being undetectable. With Firewall off, had ping and Port 80 failures, and with the Amahi server outside of the network, a complete fail!

And the Windows Media Player connection has also come to life!! It's no longer blocked!

If only there was a better solution....

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:23 am

Yea that stinks.

Better solution is to get a better router LOL
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

AndyBel

Postby AndyBel » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:40 am

Yep - just the thought of spending extra cash and having more redundant equipment around isn't appealing!!

Maybe that's another project for Amahi - to get the server to handle the firewall and routing leaving the router to be an access point only!!!