Install Plex Pass version over amahi-plex

tht

Install Plex Pass version over amahi-plex

Postby tht » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:19 pm

Is this possible? I'd like Amahi to control plex startup/monitoring but use the latest binaries.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Install Plex Pass version over amahi-plex

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:12 am

Yes you can, but you need to exclude the Amahi version of Plex Media Server from updates.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Plex_M ... om_updates
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rochellle

Postby rochellle » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Is there a way to install PlexPass version over amahi-plex now that all PlexPass versions have been "obsoleted" by your amahi-plex version?

Or is there a way to more regularly update the Amahi-plex version (i'm willing to get involved).

(They just released a General Public version update from .12 to .13 that allow playlists).

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Not much you can do to help other than submit a bug report to get amahi-plex updated.
https://bugs.amahi.org

To use the PlexPass version, see the guidance in the wiki.
https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Plex_Media_Server
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rochellle

Postby rochellle » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:21 pm

Is there a way to disassociate your "amahi-plex.rpm" and the official Plex build?

Also, the Wiki has no information on how to revert to an old build of Plex only prevent future occurrences of Amahi updating the official Plex Build.

Though I feel like I am looking a gift horse in the mouth.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:22 am

Yes it's not clearly spelled out in the wiki. If you would like to update it, please do so.

From what I recall from other user's experience, you uninstall amahi-plex from the command line and install the Plex Pass package.

Code: Select all

rpm -Uvh plexpassname.rpm
The exclude line is needed to prevent amahi-plex from getting updated and overwriting Plex Pass.

If that does not work, then you may need to uninstall amahi-plex, then add Plex Pass.

Code: Select all

rpm -e amahi-plex
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

satomware

Postby satomware » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:01 am

Dear bigfoot65, could you please be more specific?
I've tried to follow your instructions with no success...

I'm running Amahi 7, the plex-app version is 0.9.9.7.429 but the last plexpass version is 0.9.9.16.555.
I need to find a method to update my plex server (it was so simple on Amahi 6).

Thank you for your support.

rspagan

Postby rspagan » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:13 pm

After purchasing a PlexPass, not realizing that the Amahi application wasn't updated, I attempted the installation with some level of success, but reverted when I couldn't get my libraries to import from the previous installation.

The issue I kept running into was getting Plex to start via systemctl. Instead, I had to start Plex via /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/start.sh.

Even when moving my /var/lib/plexmediaserver.backup directory back to it's original /var/lib/plexmediaserver directory, the latest version of Plex would not detect libraries and would connect as a new server. This wasn't going to work, as I did have shared libraries which I didn't want to rebuild or reshare. Also, I figured that since I paid Amahi for the Plex app, I should probably get my money's worth and continue to let it update....

...however, what is the update release cycle for Amahi-Plex? The current version is quite old and does not allow features like cinema trailers or other PlexPass features (which are also paid for). I moved to Amahi so that I didn't have to worry so much about maintenance, yet I had to perform manual updates to fix the enormous bash vulnerability.

Hoping to see an updated version of Amahi-Plex, or perhaps a separate install channel for PlexPass subscribers.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:18 am

Did you follow the wiki guidance for this one?

http://pya.72.sl.pt

Also there is a bug report for updating amahi-plex.

http://pya.6m.sl.pt

There is no update cycle. We update it when we are notified there is an update via bug reports. Unfortunately due to our limited resources, it's based on when time permits.

As for the bash vulnerability you mentioned, I don't believe that has anything to do with the Plex application. That is an OS issue and Fedora 19 and Amahi have both made updates to mitigate this problem. Just like all other providers, we took action once we found out about the vulnerability and made the move to overcome it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager