Fully editable iTunes library w/ Plex & greyhole.

ambient711

Fully editable iTunes library w/ Plex & greyhole.

Postby ambient711 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:53 pm

I am testing a idea and looking for input on if this will work out in the long run.

What I wanted? A fully editable iTunes library that is not on my local machine, instead I want on my Amahi system.

How I accomplished it.

1.) Amahi setup (Ubuntu) with Greyhole.
2.) mount shares locally
3.) connect my laptop through samba.
4.) make iTunes create a new library (remove itunes library while itunes is closed, then simply open and close and a new empty one will appear).
5.) moved iTunes library to samba share.
6.) created a alias linking through network from laptop to "iTunes" folder.
7.) opened my iTunes and voila library is accessible and remote.

**.) if I wanted to switch back to my local iTunes on my computer, quit iTunes, go to "Music" folder and simply rename the alias from "iTunes" to anything else, then take the actual library and rename to "iTunes" (Note: if you are attemping make sure iTunes is closed I ran into serious problems awhiel back because iTunes was left open).

Why am I posting here about it?
I am worried about the amount of temp files and amazing amount of background operations that iTunes runs. Because of this I am worried that Greyhole is going to start loosing things as massive amounts of files are locked due to being open by iTunes.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Austin

Edit: Also I have forked-daapd configured and I cant seem to get it to recognize any music. Any ideas there too?
Last edited by ambient711 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ambient711

Re: Fully editable iTunes library w/ Plex & greyhole.

Postby ambient711 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:08 pm

It gets better.

I am able to seamlessly download music out of iTunes match, which then automatically saves into Amahi, and Plex doesn't have any issues seeing it.

Austin

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:13 am

Interesting concept. We are hoping to have AmahiTunes ready for Amahi 7 soon.

Can you script this setup? If so, we could make an app out of it.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ambient711

Postby ambient711 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:23 am

Yeah Ill work on creating a script for it.

Austin

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:41 am

Sounds good. You may find that if iTunes writes any files in the Greyhole share, it might pound the hard drive quite a bit. That could cause a lot of unnecessary read/writes.

I heard this was an issue with CrashPlan and the recommendation was to not use Greyhole with that share. Not sure if the same applies here or not, but thought I would mention it.

I tested AmahiTunes yesterday with the latest iTunes and it worked good. I was pleasantly surprised.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2