What version of Firefly is AmahiTunes built on?

dovad

What version of Firefly is AmahiTunes built on?

Postby dovad » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:29 am

I'm just wondering what version of the Firefly media server was used to build AmahiTunes? I've installed Firefly on a number of servers, Ubuntu, FreeBSD and Debian. Most distros use the latest nightly build (svn-1696) which has a lot of stability issues and crashes a lot. In my experience svn-1586 is excellent and this opinion is echoed by the developer of Firefly.

Does anyone know which version of Firefly AmahiTunes is built on?

Thanks...
Dave

cpg
Administrator

Re: What version of Firefly is AmahiTunes built on?

Postby cpg » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:21 am

we rely for it on the version that comes with the distro (i.e. with fedora 10), which is listed at 0.2.4.2.

i tried to start it with -v and such, but no more info than that.

the one we had in fedora 9 was stable, but it had a startup race condition that made it not start (however we had it restarted with monit). the one in fedora 10 seems to not have that and it looks stable. so far i did not experience the race condition.

that said, if you have some experience that can improve on what comes with f10, we can work with your help to package it.

related to this, the front end we built for amahitunes is simple (a good thing), but too simple. there are a number of things people wanted improved/fixed on AmahiTunes.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

dovad

Postby dovad » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:22 am

I personally have been on the fence about installing Amahi and have very little experience with Fedora. I have a home server running Ubuntu and in my spare time I try to learn my way around Linux but am an amateur at best. If Amahi was available for Ubuntu I'd have installed it a long time ago. My primary computer for work and home is a Mac.

Next month after the barrage of trips I have for work I'm going to get a box going with Fedora/Amahi and will do work on getting the nightly version svn-1586 of Firefly going on said box. I'll be happy to post what is necessary to get this setup going on the box I'll use for Fedora/Amahi and hope it will be useful.

Like I said before I had a lot of stability issues with the latest and greatest versions of the nightly outputs of Firefly. The final release versions that most distributions offer are sorely lacking in features as compared to the nightly's and svn-1586 seems to be really stable and with a good feature set.

bsk

Postby bsk » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:48 pm

Well my friend, as to the Ubuntu version of Amahi, that is in the making. (My grub partition recently failed on me(no fault of amahi, it was my own) and im awaiting this now as well) I do not like Fedora either but love Ubuntu and Amahi.

As to firefly, any documentation on how to do this is good. You can document it on your computer or very well make your own page on the Amahi wiki and let us know the link to the page here. It would be greatly appreciated. :D
Having problems with connecting to the internet? Try the Network Troubleshooter.

Not sure what your Gateway IP? Head on over to the Find Your Gateway IP page to find out easily.