Request: possible to get PS3 Media Server included?

Twowolves2000

Request: possible to get PS3 Media Server included?

Postby Twowolves2000 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi Guys,

It's been a few weeks since I bothered anyone, due to RL difficulties >.> But one question still remains in my mind..Can/Could we get PS3 Media Server included as an app w/for Amahi? I am admittedly a newb w/both linux and Amahi, so don't know the first thing about any tweaking for packaging that would need to be done, but it's one DLNA server app I was able to use w/windows that impressed me as much as Amahi, it not only streams whatever..but converts from whatever to stream...On The Fly even! Here's a link to their site, they've already got it dual homed for windows and linux, so hoping that the request wouldn't be a huuge undertaking: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Let me know if I'm asking too much, but it's the only thing that seems to be missing, I see that there are a couple of DLNA apps already available for Amahi, but this converts also, and as I use a PS3 as the last step in connecting my network to my tv, it's my ultimate goal to have my new quad core pc be able to cover ALL aspects! smokin'???? dreamin'??? dunno, you tell me ;)

thanks in advance, ;) :? :geek:
Old Wolf

rampage355

Re: Request: possible to get PS3 Media Server included?

Postby rampage355 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:28 am

Have you tried ushare?

Twowolves2000

Postby Twowolves2000 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:16 pm

honestly no, a. I'm new but b. I was leary as per their website: "DLNA implementation is not yet complete or perfect. Some files may not be streamed or recognized. The specifications themselves are pretty weak in terms of files support and thus, it's possible you won't ever be able to stream your files, even with a perfect implementation."

I have at least used PS3MS on windows and it works wonderfully, so was hoping that linux and amahi could prove themselves the one stop answer I was hoping for ;)

Thx,
Old Wolf

rampage355

Postby rampage355 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:43 am

I use ushare with the xbox360, ushare is very basic and I edit the config file to only see movies. I have yet to have a issue with streaming movies to the xbox360. I don't have a PS3 or i would test it for you. If you try it please report how it works for you. We are looking at other DLNA/UPnP apps also.

swanee

Postby swanee » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi I'm a noob also but I am specifically working on PS3/uShare implementation. I have not yet viewed any video, but audio and pictures are working fine. The approach I am taking is to choose file formats for all of my media so that I maintain compatibility across a wide range of playback devices including the PS3. I'll add my findings to the uShare wiki soon. Installation notes is where I'll start to be followed by file formats as they are tested.

Stay tuned...

moredruid
Expert

Postby moredruid » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:05 am

You can take a look at my post here on the board.

Note that this "package" is not part of the regular Amahi distribution/apps and therefore not officially supported. That doesn't mean it won't work, it's just not tested & packaged for Amahi. If needed I can create an uninstall script as well if you want to drop the application.

It has no interface whatsoever, no webapp etc. but you'll only need to edit 1 file (if at all, I already set the Amahi defaults) and the editing is quite simple.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

Laz74

Postby Laz74 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:05 am

I tried adding the MEdia Share as a web app and the system didn't like the path, kept giving me a 500 error, but I do have a non Amahi route. There is a way you can create a script that installs it in Fedora (well 11 anyways) so you can at least have it running and if it fails then VNC into the box and restart it. I'm wondering if it just needs to be installed and then it will work from the webapp side of things.
Guess this gives me an excuse to 'break Amahi' cuz so far it hasn't. Here's the link to the site
http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtop ... 74&start=0

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:05 pm

Hello,

I am not sure if you are aware, but we do not support Fedora 11. Only Fedora 10 and 12. All new application development will most likely be geared towards Fedora 12.

So if you are not on Fedora 12, I encourage you to upgrade. There is a lot of new functionality with Amahi 5.0 that you will not have in Fedora 11.

If I misunderstood your post, please let me know. I would be glad to assist in any way I can.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Laz74

Postby Laz74 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:05 pm

The reference was more to that script being written on a Fedora 11 platform, which means it should work on 10 or 12 as the script is pretty simple and the directories it points to should be the same. It was more of an fyi than anything.
As for 12 I thought Amahi for that version was still in beta?

salocinbake

Postby salocinbake » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:04 pm

I have been using ushare for a couple of months now.

Not a perfect solution, but I can use my PS3 to view the movies on the HDA.

Before I can see any new media you have to restart the ushare, so you can view it on the ps3.

One click install ushare. After you have to add the folders that ushare make available.

Default one are: Movies Pictures and Music if you want to add a folder:

Then open a terminal on your hda. SSH to it, or on the hardware itself.

Log in as root --> su enter then enter requested password. (one you use when you installed fedora)

--> then type: nano /var/hda/apps/ushare/ushare.conf

Scroll down to the line--> USHARE_UNION=/var/hda/files/movies:/var/hda/files/music:/var/hda/files/pictures

then add the folder that you want to see on your ps3 to the end ex: USHARE_UNION=/var/hda/files/movies:/var/hda/files/music:/var/hda/files/pictures:/var/hda/files/torrents

Don't forget to add the " : " between each entry.

Save your file, hit control + X , answer Y, enter again.

restart ushare---> service amahi-ushare restart

Go to your PS3 and enjoy your media. It will show as amahi-ushare.

Salo
My HDA: Pentium dual cpu E2200 @2.2GHz 4GB of Ram, 1T+1,5T hard drive.