Amahi DLNA does not show all share dir (Ubuntu server 12.04)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi DLNA does not show all share dir (Ubuntu server 12

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:52 am

Are the permissions set for 775 or 777 on the Movies folder? I presume it is owned by your first admin user:users as well.

I noticed on my HDA that it takes a few minutes to read the folder and I don't have many videos.

Can you take a look at the log file in /var/log folder. It is called minidlna.log I believe.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

BlackSmith

Postby BlackSmith » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:47 pm

I have exactly the issue described in the initial post. I have a setup very similar to the one described in the first post:
media_dir=A,/var/hda/files/Music
media_dir=V,/var/hda/files/Movies
media_dir=V,/var/hda/files/Homevideo
media_dir=P,/var/hda/files/Pictures
Specifically I have a films and a home movies share that are both labeled as "V" = videos. I only see the films on the DLNA client, though.

Additionally, each time I force-reload minidlna, I get

Code: Select all

[No space left on device]
errors in /var/log/minidlna.log for each and every folder that is indexed by the DLNA server (in the video shares and the others as well). There is plenty of room on all of the shares, none of the partitions in my hda are out of room (pooled or otherwise) and all of the permissions are set to FirstAmahiUser:users 777.

I'm out of troubleshooting ideas. Anybody have any thoughts?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:45 am

Check /etc/default/minidlna.conf and ensure the following are uncommented:
network_interface=eth0
friendly_name=My DLNA Server

Also you mentioned the permissions are set correctly. I presume you checked all folders/files in the paths. I have seen a mix of permissions cause issues before.

When did you just install this app? We had made some minor changes not long ago, so wondering if you got those.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

BlackSmith

Postby BlackSmith » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:21 am

I think I have all of that set correctly.

network_interface=eth0 friendly_name=Forge Media Server
I checked the permissions after doing

sudo chown xyz:users -Rv [share root]
and I have not found any that are not set correctly. Additionally, I put

force group = users force user = xyz
in the "extra parameters" setting for each share to ensure that new files are written to the shares with the correct ownership.

I installed minidlna within the last two weeks. I'll have to look for a specific date, but certainly no more than 14 days ago.

Could this be a codec issue? There are .avi and .mov files and likely some mpegs in there as well. I can't imagine that I have none of the appropriate codecs, though, as zero of the hundreds of home videos appear in the videos list on the client.

Thanks for all of your help. If I get the home movies up and rolling I'll be pretty excited, though it was still pretty cool to watch a movie last night that played flawlessly from the hda.

BlackSmith

Postby BlackSmith » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:25 am

Sparky's 4th law of debugging: when the issue is insoluble and everything is set up correctly, the problem is a typo.

I set the share to the incorrect location, so though the dlna server was pointing where I wanted it to be, the share was not where it was supposed to be. That should help . . .

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:17 am

LOL When all else fails, check the syntax :) Codecs could be a problem too. Not sure if minidlna can handle all the various file formats, but I would hope it does the common ones.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager