Amahi DNLA and WD TV Live Plus

kiwibean

Amahi DNLA and WD TV Live Plus

Postby kiwibean » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Complete n00b here, so my apologies in advance for what are probably some stupid questions.

Can a WD TV Live Plus see and play videos directly from Amahi shares that use a Greyhole storage pool?

If so, is there some required/recommended naming convention these shares should use?

Is there any (dis)advantage to playing videos from the shares themselves, rather than using Amahi DNLA?

I've got my new WD TV Live Plus working with Amahi DNLA, but I can't seem to get it to recognize the shares themselves. Not quite sure why I want/need this, but the inability to do is bugging me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much!

frankhaas

Re: Amahi DNLA and WD TV Live Plus

Postby frankhaas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:52 pm

i have the same "problem" with my seagate goflex tv. i can access my movies... via dlna. but not via samba-shares. i think it's the same issue, i can't connect to my samba shares on a vista-pc.

kiwibean

Re: Amahi DNLA and WD TV Live Plus

Postby kiwibean » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:54 am

I'm able to get to the samba shares from all of my PCs, which happen to be Windows 7. I just created users via the HDA dashboard that matched the usernames and passwords i use to login to each PC.

I'm guessing the same would hold true for Vista.

Also, make sure the workgroup name for your HDA, PCs, and goflex tv all match. This may only effect whether you can see the samba shares when browsing your network from within windows explorer, but there may be other benefits.