Squeezeboxserver not finding any files

jayrock

Squeezeboxserver not finding any files

Postby jayrock » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:07 am

Hi,

I have my music files on a greyhole share, which is mounted to /mnt/samba/Music. I've run chmod -R 755 on that folder. Still, when selecting the music folder in the Sqeezeboxserver web app, it doesn't offer any folders below /mnt/samba, and not a single music file is found under /mnt/samba or /mnt/samba/Music.

It works however if I use /var/hda/files/music, however I understand this is not recommended.

Any suggestions how fix this?

/jayrock

jayrock

Re: Squeezeboxserver not finding any files

Postby jayrock » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:44 am

It was a permission issue. chmod 777 * solved it.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:45 am

Is this something we could add to the wiki for others who may encounter the same problem? We could easily add a page for it and include in the apps category.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

NeverSimple

Postby NeverSimple » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:11 pm

It works however if I use /var/hda/files/music, however I understand this is not recommended.
In this case I don't think it's a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I understand it, when using greyhole it isn't recommended to add, modify or delete files in a directory that's used in the pool. But Squeezeboxserver only reads files, adding or changing is most likely done on a (Windows) client PC that's using a share to add or modify the files. So I think it would be safe to use /var/hda/files/music as music directory for Squeezeboxserver.

Concerning rights for the '/mnt/samba/Music' share, if it works using 'var/hda/files/music', you should be able to duplicate the access rights for that directory: use 775 permission and change the owner and group to the same, probably your loginname or admin and group 'users'.

I just saw a post from 'bigfoot 65' that summed it up nicely. So I ctrl-C > ctrl-V 't ... ;)
1. Ensure the permissions are set properly. From command line as root user, do:

chmod -R 755 parentfolder

This will change the permissions for all files and folders within the parentfolder.

2. Ensure the folder is owned by your user. You can check the other directories and they should be set correctly. To change the ownership, do:

chown -R username:group parentfolder

The ownership is usually your first admin user
Richard

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:14 am

Thanks for your input. 775 on /mnt/samba doesn't help, though. No clue why. I'll stick then with /var/hda/files/music.

Cheers, jayrock

NeverSimple

Postby NeverSimple » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:52 am

Not meaning to drag on about it but just beeing curious :)

Only changing the access rights to 775 doesn't work if the owner of the directory (and files within) is wrong. If it works after you change it to 777, giving everybody full access to the dir, it strongly suggests there is something wrong with the owner. Did you really perform point 2 in the above post and checked it ?

Richard

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:09 am

No worries better ask once to often :) I'm also curious to know what's going on!

Here we go.

/mnt/samba is owned by root
/mnt/samba/Music and subfolders is owned by the user which is the Amahi administrator, group is users

so should be ok.

Another thing just got my attention, it's the captilization of the folder names. In /mnt/samba it is Music, in /var/hda/files it is music. Even more strange, in greyhole's gh folders it's also with a capital M.

BTW I'm using this script for locally mounting the shares: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally

/jayrock

NeverSimple

Postby NeverSimple » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Another thing just got my attention, it's the captilization of the folder names. In /mnt/samba it is Music, in /var/hda/files it is music. Even more strange, in greyhole's gh folders it's also with a capital M.

BTW I'm using this script for locally mounting the shares: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Mount_Shares_Locally

/jayrock
The captilization of the folder names in /mnt/samba comes from the shell script used for mounting. (mount_shares_locally). It takes the 'comment' for the folder, which is the folder name starting with a capital, as the new folder name. You can modify the script so that it uses the real /var/hda/files/ pathnames instead. The mounted folder names will then be exactly the same as your /var/hda/files folders with any leading directory components removed. to do so, replace the line in the script beginning with 'mysql' with the following

Code: Select all

mysql -u root -phda -e "select path from shares" hda_production | grep -v "^path$" | xargs -n 1 basename | xargs -d "\n" mkdir -p
I've modified the script and tested it. If you used the original script before, don't forget to remove the 'old' (capitalized) folders first.

On my server the folder names inside the /gh dirs are also capitalized, but I won't be working with these directly so that won't bother me. Maybe these are setup in a similar way.

Richard

PS: I'm busy setting up a new Amahi server to replace my old one. I will test the 'access rights thing' for Squeezeboxserver when the new server is up and running. I'm also using Squeezeboxserver.

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks, will check it but won't have time before the new year.

/jayrock