Can't access Amahi DLNA from TV

Wilhelm

Can't access Amahi DLNA from TV

Postby Wilhelm » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:40 pm

I just bought a Sony Bravia TV and is trying to access the Amahi DLNA server. It is running as I got this:

Code: Select all

rpm -q amahi-dlna amahi-dlna-0.91-7.i686
The TV is connected to the internet via the Amahi DNS as I can see the IP addresses and can access YouTube, but I can't see the DLNA server on the TV. I do see Amahi as a network drive.

I found some YouTube video from Sony that shows how it is supposed to show a DLNA server in the list of servers the TV can access.

How do I know if the Amahi DLNA is actually working? I have never access it in any other way. Is there anyone that can explain to me how to test or get the Amahi DLNA working?

Thanks

Wilhelm

servalan

Re: Can't access Amahi DLNA from TV

Postby servalan » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:53 am

I know this won't help very much, but it works OK on my Bravia TV at home.

Some things to check:
Do you have any DLNA shared folders set up? The TV only shows them, rather than being able to browse all of Amahi.
The Amahi DLNA shared folders should show up under the 'Photos', 'Video' and 'Music' sections of the TV's Home menu.
The TV is quite picky on formats. Try with a straightforward JPEG picture before trying to get video working, for example.

Wilhelm

Postby Wilhelm » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:04 pm

After a lot of playing around it seems that the problem is all about file formats. DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) is trying to set an “open industry standards for cross-industry digital convergence” according to the website. Unfortunately it does not seem to support FOSS standards.

I got there formats from their website and it seems correct as I was unable to access anything that was not on this list. My test was not comprehensive but only a sample test of what I had available. Maybe this can be added to the Amahi DLNA Wiki page.

Table 1. DLNA Media formats for Home Devices
Imaging: JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PNG
Audio: LPCM (2 channel), MP3, WMA9, AC-3, AAC, ATRAC3plus
Video: MPEG2, MPEG1, MPEG4, WMV9

This was a real pain for me as all my music is in ogg or flac formats and none are supported. Maybe if this was on the DNLA wiki I would have chosen different file formats. I tried to add it to the wiki but can't. Don't know why.

Maybe there are some of you the understand MiniDLNA that was used for Amahi DLNA as it seems that other DLNAs can access FOSS formats. I don't know.

Wilhelm

bt107

Postby bt107 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:06 am

The issue you have isn't with Amahi DLNA but with the Sony Bravia. I also have one and as mentioned above it's very picky about file formats. Amahi DLNA doesn't transcode formats it simply serves them up to a DLNA device. It will work very well with the Sony Bravia if your media is in a format the Bravia recognizes.

uslacker

Postby uslacker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:28 pm

I have this working with a different streaming package. Take a look.
[urlhttp://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2701&p=13435&hilit=bravia#p13435[/url]