SOLVED: Amahi DLNA Server: no logs, no fildes.db but service is running...

akreaxun

SOLVED: Amahi DLNA Server: no logs, no fildes.db but service is running...

Postby akreaxun » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:14 am

Hi

I managed to get Amahi 7 up and running greyhole in the meantime working properly. Now the next task: Get Amahi DLNA Server up and running.

System information:
- Hostsystem: Xubuntu 14.04 LTS
- Amahi 7 (64bit) runs on Virtualbox 4.3.10 (from official repos)
- In Virtualbox I use Bridged Adapter settings
- DHCP is turned off since I am in system where I don't have the permission to turn off the router
- Amahi HDA can be reached from any computer in the network using its IP
- Greyhole up and running

Problem:
Amahi DLNA Server app. Seems to be porperly installed as

Code: Select all

systemctl status minidlna.service
gives

minidlna.service - MiniDLNA is a DLNA/UPnP-AV server software Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/minidlna.service; enabled) Active: active (running) since Tue 2015-06-23 17:27:15 CEST; 1h 26min ago Main PID: 2459 (minidlnad) CGroup: name=systemd:/system/minidlna.service 2459 /usr/sbin/minidlnad -S Jun 23 17:27:15 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting MiniDLNA is a DLNA/UPnP-AV server software... Jun 23 17:27:15 localhost.localdomain systemd[1]: Started MiniDLNA is a DLNA/UPnP-AV server software. Jun 23 17:27:15 localhost.localdomain minidlnad[2459]: minidlna.c:1026: warn: Starting miniDLNA version 1.1.4. Jun 23 17:27:15 localhost.localdomain minidlnad[2459]: minidlna.c:1056: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200 Jun 23 17:27:15 localhost.localdomain minidlnad[2459]: minidlna.c:1070: warn: TiVo support is enabled. Jun 23 17:27:15 localhost.localdomain minidlnad[2459]: inotify.c:198: warn: WARNING: Inotify max_user_watches [8192] is low or close to the number of used watches and I do not have permission to increase this limit. Please do so manually by writing a higher value into /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches.
I did check https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/DLNA but there is no minidlna.log where it is supposed to be (instead there is a /minidlna folder with no content) and /tmp/files.db is also missing.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot
akrea

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi DLNA Server: no logs, no fildes.db but service is running...

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:03 pm

Do you have all the latest OS updates? That may be the problem.

BTW, is the Amahi 7 instance serving as your DHCP server? If not, this could be the issue. Seems like I have seen this before, but can't remember the outcome.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

akreaxun

Postby akreaxun » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:16 am

Hi Bigfoot

Do you mean

yum update
updates (no I don't)? I thought Amahi should not be updated due to compatibility considerations...?

Best regards
Akrea

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:33 am

I thought Amahi should not be updated due to compatibility considerations...?
Not sure what you mean here.

Recommend you run the update to acquire all the available security patches. There may be a package that interacts with DLNA that will correct your problem.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

akreaxun

Postby akreaxun » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:55 am

The update did not do the trick. By now I also managed to temporarily have Amahi being the DHCP Server. There was no change in the situation. Still no /var/log/minidlna.log nor a <minidlna> folder under /tmp/.

Looking at the situation it's a bit weird: I do have a <minidlna> folder in /var/log/ but none under /tmp/ . The files are missing in both cases. So my thinking is that there might be something wrong in the configuration file, yet I did not touch it after installation in order to prevent any wrongdoing.

Additional info:
I have mounted two external HDs. One under /var/hda/files (as described in https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding ... o_your_HDA) to be my primary LZ and storage device. Both HDs are pooled with Greyhole.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:10 am

Good chance the wiki is outdated, therefore the log location would be in /var/logs/. I checked my instance and there is no log file. Probably an issue with the minidlna package in Fedora.
notify max_user_watches [8192] is low or close to the number of used watches and I do not have permission to increase this limit. Please do so manually by writing a higher value into /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches.
This could be part of your issue. Not sure if the internet would provide any help.

Since you are running Greyhole, you may need to have Mount Shares Locally implemented. I will have to check my setup and let you know as my DLNA is working fine.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

akreaxun

Postby akreaxun » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:33 am

Thanks,

The output of
notify max_user_watches [8192] is low or close to the number of used watches [7] and I do not have permission to increase this limit. Please do so manually by writing a higher value into /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches.
was missing the "[7]" after "used watches". Another strange thing as the max number is still very, very far from the actual used ones according to the output. BTW: I have no idea what the significance of that one is.

Since you are running Greyhole, you may need to have Mount Shares Locally implemented. I will have to check my setup and let you know as my DLNA is working fine.
OK thanks I'll wait before I start going through Mount Shares Locally.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Looks like I am using the standard path for videos, movies, music, and pictures in /etc/minidlna.conf.

Maybe attach what yours looks like to the post and we can compare. BTW what does the line below reflect:
network_interface=
Also what is the result of:

cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches
Mine indicates 8192.

I do have Mount Shares Locally implemented on my HDA, but not using it for DLNA.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

akreaxun

Postby akreaxun » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:26 pm

Had a bit of a delay... back on the project now.

I have listed the content of the minidlna.conf file below. Yet I'm curious about the following statement:
Good chance the wiki is outdated, therefore the log location would be in /var/logs/. I checked my instance and there is no log file. Probably an issue with the minidlna package in Fedora.
Is this a bug?

I should have read the minidlna.conf more closely. The files.db file is where it is indicated in the conf file. The content of my minidlna.conf is as follows:

# port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic port=8200 # network interfaces to serve, comma delimited network_interface=p2p1 # set this to the directory you want scanned. # * if have multiple directories, you can have multiple media_dir= lines # * if you want to restrict a media_dir to a specific content type, you # can prepend the type, followed by a comma, to the directory: # + "A" for audio (eg. media_dir=A,/home/jmaggard/Music) # + "V" for video (eg. media_dir=V,/home/jmaggard/Videos) # + "P" for images (eg. media_dir=P,/home/jmaggard/Pictures) media_dir=A,/var/hda/files/music media_dir=V,/var/hda/files/movies media_dir=P,/var/hda/files/pictures # set this if you want to customize the name that shows up on your clients friendly_name=Amahi # set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its database and album art cache db_dir=/var/cache/minidlna # set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want MiniDLNA to store its log file log_dir=/var/log # this should be a list of file names to check for when searching for album art # note: names should be delimited with a forward slash ("/") album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg # set this to no to disable inotify monitoring to automatically discover new files # note: the default is yes inotify=yes # set this to yes to enable support for streaming .jpg and .mp3 files to a TiVo supporting HMO enable_tivo=yes # set this to strictly adhere to DLNA standards. # * This will allow server-side downscaling of very large JPEG images, # which may hurt JPEG serving performance on (at least) Sony DLNA products. strict_dlna=no # default presentation url is http address on port 80 presentation_url=http://hda:8200 # notify interval in seconds. default is 895 seconds. notify_interval=900 # serial and model number the daemon will report to clients # in its XML description serial=12345678 model_number=1 # use different container as root of the tree # possible values: # + "." - use standard container (this is the default) # + "B" - "Browse Directory" # + "M" - "Music" # + "V" - "Video" # + "P" - "Pictures" # if you specify "B" and client device is audio-only then "Music/Folders" will be used as root #root_container=.
Yet, this still does not solve the problem as the server does not show up on the DLNA clients in the home network.

cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches

Mine indicates 8192.
Same here.
BTW what does the line below reflect:

network_interface=
Can you elaborate on this. I don't understand what exactly I should do.

Thank you

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:57 pm

There is a bug in the minidlana application that is used for DLNA. Nothing we can do about it unfortunately as it's a vendor update that is needed. It should really only affect the log output being abscent.

Your configuration file appears ok and looks similar to mine.

The network interface I am referring to is listed as p2p1 in the configuration file. To ensure it is correct, you can do the following as root user:

ip address
The result should show the name of the network interface near the 2: entry. If you are unsure, you can also run the following command to verify:

ip addr show |grep -w inet |egrep -v '(127.0.0.1|tun)' |awk '{ print $7}'
It should display the network interface name.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager