Shares access issues

ehreimer

Shares access issues

Postby ehreimer » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:15 am

I'm aware of the capital letter issues with the username for accessing shares. The problem is my Windows 7 Laptop automatically changes my username to "LAPTOP-username" when I try to log in. Then Amahi refuses access. What can I do to fix this?

lou1z

Re: Shares access issues

Postby lou1z » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:43 pm

it will always do that. the caps issue is not with the domain or pc part but rather with the username. so HOME\username is ok but HOME\Username isn't. windows will always put either the PCNAME\username or the DOMAIN\username in a logon.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:04 am

let me specify the issue: if you create a user with capital letters in the username, the user will be created in linux, though it will be created in the amahi user interface. this user will not have share access because it does not exist in linux.

if you have such a user, please delete it and create a new one with all lowercase.
(we have a fix in testing for this)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

ehreimer

Postby ehreimer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:57 am

So if my username is all lowercase, even though the PC name is uppercase, there is another reason why I'm being denied access. Where should I look next?

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:12 am

no, because "LAPTOP-username" will not connect to the hda. the hda will require a HOME\username or whatever you specified in place of "HOME" and a username you specified in the amahi dashboard under shares. your amahi control panel (on the web not your server) will tell you your domain name eg "HOME". or you can look in your browser address bar when you try to access the hda which should look something like "http://hda.home.com"

so your pc logon locally is LAPTOP-username even though you probably just type username & a password because your laptop assumes you will be logging in locally.
your remote logon to shares in amahi will be DOMAIN\username
your hda doesn't know the usernames & passwords stored on your laptop. similary, your laptop doesn't know the domain or usernames/passwords specified on your hda.