How do I create a remote set-up (headless unit?)

hfxrzw

How do I create a remote set-up (headless unit?)

Postby hfxrzw » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:27 am

Hi, I want to be able to have the servers started automatically and restart the services whenever the unit is powered up without intervention. Just the box, nothing connected. How do I go about?

I appreciate I need to look at the computer if it will start without a screen/mouse/keyboard, but further F12 and Amahi5 will need to start up without asking for passwords etc.

Any ideas/experience?

Many thanks, Rene.

cpg
Administrator

Re: How do I create a remote set-up (headless unit?)

Postby cpg » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:31 am

see the setup recommendations, in particular the section on how to run headless.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

ReneZ

Postby ReneZ » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:50 am

OK, followed the link and it is working. I can disconnect the mouse and keyboard without any issues.

However, as soon as I disconnect the screen the computer stops during start-up and there is no way I can get in remotely. It does not stop on POST or similar, but after running through some of the start-up. Why do I think so: I can hear the harddisk working for some time before the system halts.

Is it possible there is a feature in F12 that is looking for a screen? I had a look on the Fedora website, but didn't get any further.

Thanks, Rene.
Cheers, Rene

Evo D51S, 16Gb SSD, 3Ware 9500 Raid, 2 x 500Gb in Raid1

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:09 am

OK, not sure what is going on. Did you have your hda box shut off before disconnecting the monitor?

With the information provided, I would suggest booting it up with all attached. Then once up, check the boot and sys logs for some clues on the previous boot.

I am running headless, sorta with a kvm switch on my hda. All works well for me. You might consider trying the same if this won't work.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

ReneZ

Postby ReneZ » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:16 am

Hi BF, thanks for that. I did a lot of reading and eventually got it going with the 'nomodeset'. There are a few pages mentioning that option, but I couldn't find one that told me exactly where to put it. I added it to the /etc/grub.conf file, but only later (much later!!)realised it was supposed to go at the end of the kernel line. Steep learning curve here!!!
Cheers, Rene

Evo D51S, 16Gb SSD, 3Ware 9500 Raid, 2 x 500Gb in Raid1