Networking oddities

sfmartin

Networking oddities

Postby sfmartin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:05 am

I set up Fed 10 and Amahi 4 several weeks ago to serve as backup and file storage; after a few problems with install (my mistakes) I have it up an running and have moved over some files, can access the server through the 3 PC laptops in my house (2 XP pros, 1 Win 7). Trying to go headless, but having trouble getting VNC setup properly (my mistakes) ... anyway, last week I lost my wireless networking, reboot the Ambit modem/router, all the usual connection suspects, call Time Warner Cable, they reset me, I reboot everything and I'm working again. The next day it blinks out again; I begin to suspect my server so I disconnect it from the router, reboot router, I'm good; reconnect server and a couple hours later my connection is on the blink again; so disconnect again and leave the server disconnected and have had no problems for several days.

I know this could be a modem/router problem, but my gut tells me I've done something with my server that is causing these problems. I want this to work, but my incompetence may doom this experiment.

Any ideas out there?

ljdellar

Re: Networking oddities

Postby ljdellar » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:11 pm

Have you turned off DHCP on your router?

If you are serving DHCP from both your router AND your HDA you will get problems.

LJ