Installed, but can not use.

duwady

Installed, but can not use.

Postby duwady » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:44 am

This was what I had been looking for. I have tried Windows Home Server, was impressed by the features, but was put off by the delicate needs, and limited interaction with non-Windows computers.

So, I have downloaded Fedora, and installed Amahi. As asked for at the end, I disabled the Router DHCP, and restarted the whole thing.

Logged on to http://hda, and played around. I wanted to download cooliris on it, and realized that I have no Internet connection. Not only on hda, but none of the computers, wired as well as wireless, could connect to the Internet.

After being yelled at by the better half and the kids for interrupting their surfing, :oops: I closed the HDA down, and activated the dhcp on the router. After restarting everything, I got the internet connection back, but I can not see the HDA machine. Even if I can not use it for other things, I wanted to start using it as File Server first, but no go.

My question now is, where did I go wrong, or where should I be looking to find the problem? It is no doubt related to network configuration, but what???

I am pretty good with Windows, and understand techie terms, though Linux is a wee bit deeper for me. I can paddle, but not swim... 8-)

Any help would be appreciated.

Duwady
Adding my 2 cents
Duwady

duwady

Re: Installed, but can not use.

Postby duwady » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:07 am

In addition to above, I have attached the jpg file, which somehow does not look correct...
Attachments
ScreenShot001.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg (24.53 KiB) Viewed 5233 times
Adding my 2 cents
Duwady

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:42 pm

is your network 192.168.1.* and your router at 192.168.1.1?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

salocinbake

Postby salocinbake » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:09 pm

I had the same problem, but I turned off the "wrong" DHCP in my router.

I had the Wan/ internet dhcp off, instead of the DHCP server.

Easy mistake, but you end up with no internet... :oops:

Salo
My HDA: Pentium dual cpu E2200 @2.2GHz 4GB of Ram, 1T+1,5T hard drive.

duwady

Postby duwady » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:00 pm

That is why I felt uncomfortable. My network has always been 192.168.0.*, and my router has been 192.168.0.1. Where did 192.168.1.* come from?

I am not that versed with Linux - let alone Fedora - to go inside and make the changes. I realized that even "ifconfig" does not work? What is its equivalent in Fedora?
I had the same problem, but I turned off the "wrong" DHCP in my router.

I had the Wan/ internet dhcp off, instead of the DHCP server.

Easy mistake, but you end up with no internet... :oops:

Salo
I am positive I turned off the DHCP server on the router. I know it because I keep on playing with it... ;)

Thanks for answering...
Adding my 2 cents
Duwady

duwady

Postby duwady » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:31 pm

Your response gave me an idea, and I made some changes.

I again turned off the DHCP server, and changed the router ip to 192.168.1.1, and restarted everything.

Now my HDA is working fine. I can go to Internet from my HDA, but I do not have any connection on the other machines. When I checked the HDA machine, it looks like it is not providing any ip addresses. Did somehow HDA DHCP server is turned off?

I am turning back the dhcp on the router again until I figure out how to go about it.

Thanks in advance.
Adding my 2 cents
Duwady

duwady

Postby duwady » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:57 pm

I just wanted to give status of my HDA project.

I noticed that while booting up, my HDA machine FAILED dhcp feature. That was one reason why I could not get anything to work earlier. Now, after changing the ip address on the router, and keeping the dhcp server function on the router, I can see the hda shares on the client, I can even type http://hda and go there from the client machine.

I will continue to play around till I find out more details. However, couple of problems that I have seen till now:

- Though I can go to HDA, and even check pictures, I could not go to Wiki, nor to Calender pages.

- When I tried to connect externally, I connected to the router (obviously...), so I guess I have to route some ports. I remember seeing something on Wiki about that.

- If someone kindly tells me how to activate the dhcp on hda machine, I will try that too. :lol:

Just wanted to keep everybody updated.

Thanks a lot to all.
Adding my 2 cents
Duwady

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:09 am

I can see the hda shares on the client, I can even type http://hda and go there from the client machine.
that is a great sign that things are working to at least some basic level.
- Though I can go to HDA, and even check pictures, I could not go to Wiki, nor to Calender pages.
looks like this was some partially bad install. try this:

Code: Select all

rpm -e hda-app-wiki hda-app-webcal && yum -y install hda-app-wiki hda-app-webcal
- When I tried to connect externally, I connected to the router (obviously...), so I guess I have to route some ports. I remember seeing something on Wiki about that.
use the VPN to connect from outside your network to it.
- If someone kindly tells me how to activate the dhcp on hda machine, I will try that too. :lol:
i believe it's running, otherwise you would not be able to see http://hda !
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

duwady

Postby duwady » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:27 am

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, cpg.
use the VPN to connect from outside your network to it.
I meant using the http://www.user.yourhda.com, the dyndns way. Do I need vpn to connect to the hda when I try to connect dyndns way also?
i believe it's running, otherwise you would not be able to see http://hda !
When the hda machine is booting, if you click on "details" it will list you all the services being loaded, with [OK] on the right side. However, when dhcpd is loaded, I get [Failed] on the right side. This is what I meant. I am assuming that I can access the hda because it has a fixed ip, and is part of the network. But then again, I may be very wrong.

Thanks.

Duwady
Adding my 2 cents
Duwady

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:43 am

about dyndns, you can use it for whatever you want, if you know how to use it.
at the moment the VPN program uses it. some people open their ports and use the dyndns name for things like ssh or even making some web page available.

however that last option is not supported out of the box for now (see why and how to get help for that here (hint, come by the irc and help us test the features)).

can you fish for the errors reports from

Code: Select all

/var/log/messages
(at the end) and share the dhcpd errors you see?