Installed, but can not use.

duwady

Re: Installed, but can not use.

Postby duwady » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:52 am

about dyndns, you can use it for whatever you want, if you know how to use it.
at the moment the VPN program uses it. some people open their ports and use the dyndns name for things like ssh or even making some web page available.
Yes, basically that was what I had in mind, creating a webpage as a water cooler for friends and families to gather around. The apps like "Recipe" would be popular there, as the pictures of cute babies in the family. I read somewhere in this site that you are coming up with login page. Now, that would be pretty nice.
(hint, come by the irc and help us test the features)).
Buddy, I would do anything to help out test the features, but working through irc is not my strong point, and I would be completely lost there. Some other way??? :oops:
can you fish for the errors reports from

Code: Select all

/var/log/messages
(at the end) and share the dhcpd errors you see?
I am at work right now, but I will send the error report in the evening, even if it is a Friday night!!!!! ;)

Thanks a lot.

Duwady
Adding my 2 cents
Duwady

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:44 pm

hint, come by the irc and help us test the features.
Buddy, I would do anything to help out test the features, but working through irc is not my strong point, and I would be completely lost there. Some other way??? :oops:
understand. some people shy away from irc. though i have to say it has improved A LOT since i last used it many years ago.

you can even just login with a web browser!

the amahi-devel list is then the most appropriate place to help out.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

duwady

Postby duwady » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:25 pm

can you fish for the errors reports from

/var/log/messages
(at the end) and share the dhcpd errors you see?
Hi buddy,

This is what the entries are in /vat/;pg/messages file, related to dhcpd:

Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost monit[2606]: 'dhcpd' failed to start
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost monit[2606]: 'mt-daapd' failed to start
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost monit[2606]: 'dhcpd' process is not running
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost monit[2606]: 'dhcpd' trying to restart
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost monit[2606]: 'dhcpd' start: /etc/init.d/dhcpd
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost monit[2606]: 'mt-daapd' process is not running
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost monit[2606]: 'mt-daapd' trying to restart
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost monit[2606]: 'mt-daapd' start: /etc/init.d/mt-daapd
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server 4.0.0
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: Copyright 2004-2007 Internet Systems Consortium.
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: All rights reserved.
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: /etc/dhcpd.conf line 41: expecting numeric value.
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: #011hardware ethernet /
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: ^
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: Configuration file errors encountered -- exiting
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd:
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: This version of ISC DHCP is based on the release available
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: on ftp.isc.org. Features have been added and other changes
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: have been made to the base software release in order to make
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: it work better with this distribution.
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: Please report for this software via the Red Hat Bugzilla site:
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: http://bugzilla.redhat.com
Jan 11 14:19:53 localhost dhcpd: exiting.

Can you make any sense of it?
Adding my 2 cents
Duwady

duwady

Postby duwady » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:46 pm

- Though I can go to HDA, and even check pictures, I could not go to Wiki, nor to Calender pages.
looks like this was some partially bad install. try this:

rpm -e hda-app-wiki hda-app-webcal && yum -y install hda-app-wiki hda-app-webcal
Cpg, running this tells me that hda-app-wiki is not installed, and hda-app-webcal is already installed, "nothing to do"...

By the way, I can see the wiki and the calender from the hda machine itself, just not from another client... I hope I made that clear. I am sorry if I had not done so earlier.

Thanks.

Duwady
Adding my 2 cents
Duwady

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:02 pm

ah. you can't see the hda from other clients because it somehow seems like your configuration for dhcpd is bad somehow.

your clients do not get dhcp leases from the hda, which in turn does not let them use the dns provided by HDA, which is what enables the short URLs such as http://hda and http://setup.

we try really hard to prevent this from happening. however, i guess something went wrong somewhere.

if the actual configuration settings are ok, you can reboot to get a "clean" slate on the configuration from the settings, or simply type:

hdactl-hup
which will re-generate the settings.

sorry we missed you in the IRC yesterday. i was AFK when you came in.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

duwady

Postby duwady » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:50 am

if the actual configuration settings are ok, you can reboot to get a "clean" slate on the configuration from the settings, or simply type:

hdactl-hup
which will re-generate the settings.
I have already restarted the HDA machine plenty of times. So, apart from re-installing the HDA, is there anyway to fix the dhcpd issue?

If I do have to reinstall HDA again :cry: , I am worried a bit as I have copied a lot to my HDA folders. Is there any "fixing reinstall" or selective reinstall, or controlled reinstall, or does it have to be "from the scratch"?
sorry we missed you in the IRC yesterday. i was AFK when you came in.
No problem, buddy. I have a feeling you will see me there a lot more. :D

Duwady
Adding my 2 cents
Duwady

brorsan

Postby brorsan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:42 am

Hi guys.

Before duwady goes to reinstall his hda, I just wanted to say that i am also having what seems to be the same problem as duwady here. From my computer I can access http://hda but none of the other short URLs. But when using the hda I can access all URLs.
I am not using the hda as DHCP-server, but when using the hda as DNS-server for my pc I get redirected to OpenDNSs domain-search thingy when trying to access e.g. http://wiki or http://torrents

The thing is, that this is my second hda install and I had the exact same problem with the previous install i made just before christmas. Could I be doing something wrong, or maybe i have misunderstood how to configure the other computers in my network? In that case this will not be a problem in the installation itself, keeping in mind that it is working locally on the hda...

Edit: I will check my logs regarding dhcp when i get home from work. I did not think of this before. However I should be able to use the hda DNS functionality (e.g. short URLs) without using the hda DHCP right?

duwady

Postby duwady » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:56 am

I am not using the hda as DHCP-server, but when using the hda as DNS-server for my pc I get redirected to OpenDNSs domain-search thingy when trying to access e.g. http://wiki or http://torrents
I understand that HDA uses DYNDNS as its external dns server. So when it does not find the http://wiki or other short URLs, it goes to OpenDNS search site. From what cpg has said earlier, when we DO NOT use hda as DHCP server, then short URLs are not "recognized". So the bottom line is that we have to have HDA as DHCP server to get other short URLs to work. CPG, please correct me if I have understood wrong.
The thing is, that this is my second hda install and I had the exact same problem with the previous install i made just before christmas. Could I be doing something wrong, or maybe i have misunderstood how to configure the other computers in my network? In that case this will not be a problem in the installation itself, keeping in mind that it is working locally on the hda...
I am glad you told me this, because it tells me that unless we understand why we are having this issue, it will be useless for us to re-install the HDA. Thanks.
Edit: I will check my logs regarding dhcp when i get home from work. I did not think of this before. However I should be able to use the hda DNS functionality (e.g. short URLs) without using the hda DHCP right?
Please do check, and see if your error messages are similar to mine.

So it seems we have to find out why dhcp is not working in HDA machine.

CPG, and other Linux gurus, we need your expertise buddy. ;) From what brorsan is saying, re-installing HDA may not resolve this problem of dhcp. Let me know how I can contribute to resolve this problem. I am sure it will help others also.

Duwady
Adding my 2 cents
Duwady

duwady

Postby duwady » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:07 am

Ok, guys, something happened right now, and I did not understand why. However, the experts may be able to make sense of it and enlighten us... :)

I am at work right now, and decided to just check my HDA machine, over vpn of course, and everything IS accessible. I can click around and see things, wiki, calender, everything.

How is it that I can see and access my short URL's from outside my network, but am not seeing it from my client computer within my network?

This time, I am really stumped. :!: :!: :!:

Duwady.
Adding my 2 cents
Duwady

brorsan

Postby brorsan » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:20 am

Hi again,

Well, I do not seem to have any problems with the dhcp daemon. Checking in the logs it has started and is working fine. So my problem is probably not related to yours, duwady, and i apologise for disturbing your thread. I just wanted to give you a heads up and not re-install your hda if you did not have to.

I still feel though, that the dns-part should work without me being a dhcp-client on the hda. My guess would be that the basic dns's (hda, wiki, torrents etc) are "hard coded" into the dns after install, and i feel that it is strange that the hda would redirect me to OpenDNS for those particular urls. But this is another question, i will look into this more and i will not bother this thread with it anymore.

Sorry again, Duwady and i hope your problem will be solved. If i stumble upon some kind of answer i will let you know.