Add a BIOS configure RAID to my Available Storage

ejrocks

Add a BIOS configure RAID to my Available Storage

Postby ejrocks » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:43 am

I've successfully set up my system and am able to access the dashboard, but I cannot add my BIOS-configured RAID. I have four 4TB HDDs set up in a RAID 5 configuration and I would like to add them as an additional drive. I have not partitioned of formatted the RAID so I am not committed if this is not the correct way to add these drives. I purchased and downloaded the Greyhole UI, but I can't get the app to start. What am I doing wrong??

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Add a BIOS configure RAID to my Available Storage

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:23 am

Hello,

First of all, greyhole-ui App is not an app for RAID. Recommend you carefully read the description.

We don't provide support for RAID, however there is some guidance in the wiki that might help.

Keep in mind these are tutorials provided by the community and may be dated.

Sorry we cannot help much.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

chayes874

Postby chayes874 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:16 am

It's been a while since I set it up, but I'm running a RAID0 and have run RAID1 in the past. It's just a software RAID I have, but there are many good tutorials out there on how to set one of those up:

https://www.tecmint.com/understanding-r ... -in-linux/

Once you're done, I believe you you create a mount point in your hda directory and point it back to your RAID and then set up all your shares.

/dev/md127 | 3.58 TB | 2.62 TB | 795 GB(23%) | /var/hda/files/drives/raid0

Here's my directory structure:
[root@localhost raid0]# pwd
/var/hda/files/drives/raid0
[root@localhost raid0]# tree -d -L 1
├── books
├── docs
├── lost+found
├── movies
├── music
├── pictures
├── public
├── tv
└── videos

9 directories
[root@localhost raid0]#

ejrocks

Postby ejrocks » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:47 am

Thank you both for the advice.

Bigfoot65 - I do understand that Greyhole is not a RAID. That is why I am asking which is the better option and how do I make the drives available to the storage pool. I haven't put any data on the drives, so I can easily undo the RAID if Greyhole is the better option. My question is what do I need to do to make the drives available to the pool now that Amahi is installed and running?

Chayes874 - the command line you provided I believe is to make directories one the drive(s) are mounted. What is the command line to actually mount the drives? I have four 4TB drives currently BIOS configured in RAID 5.

Thank you again for your help!!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:29 am

Oh sorry, it wasn't obvious to me that you were asking how to use the greyhole-ui App.

There is guidance in the wiki for setting it up. Basically you have to manually mount the drives first so Amahi sees them.

If it was me, I would go the Greyhole route. I use it with 3 drives and have had great success.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2