CLOSED: Installed apps unable to access internet?

qureshis

CLOSED: Installed apps unable to access internet?

Postby qureshis » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi - I just got Amahi up and running on my server and have been able to successfully download several apps. The Control Panel shows the Status as running and I have entered the Amahi IP address into the router DNS settings.
My setup is
1. Router + Firewall: setup pfSense firewall on separate server. This also has the DHCP server and I have installed Squid proxy server on this as well have all traffic router through VPN on pfSense.. Router gateway is 192.168.0.1
2. I have setup the Amahi on a different server behind the firewall and static IP is 192.168.0.212.
3. Amahi server can connect to internet. I used the terminal to ping the router, 8.8.8.8 and other websites and all work fine.
4. I can access the web gui through the IP address but not by http://dha
5. I successfully downloaded several apps. However, when I when I click on the apps to configure them I get the following error:
This site can’t be reached
Check if there is a typo in nextcloud14.qcloud.netq.

Try:
Changing DNS over HTTPS settings
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
Check your DNS over HTTPS settings
Go to Opera > Preferences… > System > Use DNS-over-HTTPS instead of the system’s DNS settings and check your DNS-over-HTTPS provider.

nextcloud14.qcloud.netq

6. As suggested, I tried changing the DNS over HTTP settings but no luck
7. I also tried to excluded Amahi from VPN but that made no difference either
7. I am guessing I setup the local domain wrong as qcloud.NETQ?? Should this follow a standard convention i.e. qcloud.com??

Hope I have provided enough information. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Installed apps unable to access internet?

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:12 pm

You have a very complex setup for your network compared to most home users.

Suggest you check logs to see if you can find the issue.

Also, if you are not using Amahi for DHCP the apps will not work. See the Amahi FAQ for details.

Also best to set the IP address of the HDA below 100 since the Amahi DHCP server uses 100-254.

Based on your info, sounds like you are not using Amahi for DHCP and therefore won't be able to use most apps. Apps that are accessible on other than the standard port 80 can be accessed using IP address and port. However, there are not many of those.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

qureshis

Postby qureshis » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:57 pm

Thank you for your quick reply.

I thought in the documentation one option was to keep the DHCP server on the router? I did not realize this would not allow any of the apps to work. Because although my setup sounds complicated, it essentially is a router behind which the Amahi server is located, so it would be similar to the setup in the documentation?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:12 pm

I am not as experienced with the networking inner workings of Amahi.

However past experience is most apps only work when it’s the DHCP server.

In theory, if your router uses the HDA for DNS it should work. Not so sure that’s the case though.

Also, instructions recommend an IP address < 100. Wouldn’t think that is the issue but I could be wrong.

Sorry I am not much help.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

qureshis

Postby qureshis » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:13 am

Got it. Thanks for your responses.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:34 am

If you come up with a solution, please let us know.

I will close this topic.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager