Remote Login & Partition Issues

njtrophy

Remote Login & Partition Issues

Postby njtrophy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:15 am

Hi,

I just fumbled my way through this install as a non-linux user. I have things up and running, kind of, but I'm running into two issues.

Partition: I have a 1 TB drive I wanted to split in half keeping Windows on one side and having it blank on the other. Somehow through the install, this didn't happen and Fedora/Amahi took over the 1TB drive. So now I'm attempting to transfer my data to the 1 TB partition and got hit with an error that I don't have enough space, which can't be possible. Logged in and the files are uploading to "/dev/sda4" with a mount point "/". Total space is 49GB. That's where the data is being uploaded. I have another partition "/dev/sda5" with a mount point "/home" with a total space of 862 GB which is where I'd like the data to go. How can I either have the files upload to the 862 GB partition OR split off some of that space to "/dev/sda4"

Remote Login: When I type in my browser "http://NAMEHERE.yourhda.com/login.asp" I get sent to a Comcast Business Gateway. Is this something I have to resolve with Comcast (my ISP)?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Remote Login & Partition Issues

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:42 am

There should not be a large home partition. Did you use the Express DVD? If you used the Express DVD, you are headed for problems down the road.

If you don't mind reinstalling, I would recommend you do so following the Minimal Install CD method. Also ensure you do not use LVM and there should not be a /home partition in the drive setup option.
Remote Login: When I type in my browser "http://NAMEHERE.yourhda.com/login.asp" I get sent to a Comcast Business Gateway. Is this something I have to resolve with Comcast (my ISP)?
Best to use the Amahi Anywhere application and an Android or iOS device. More secure and efficient.

The browser login often is blocked by ISP or does not work correctly. If you really need to use a web browser on a PC, recommend you check out setting up VPN access.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

njtrophy

Postby njtrophy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:56 am

I can accept that the installation was not done properly. If I remounted the Fedora 27 Server ISO on my USB thumb drive and redid the installation following the instructions more carefully, would that be the correct process moving forward? I'm unfamiliar with Linux and unsure whether or not that would correct the issues.

I think it would be best for me to focus on getting Amahi up and running first and then focusing on the remote access afterwards as it's not as important to me at the moment.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:05 am

Yes I would recommend you follow the link I posted previously.

Ensure you download Fedora 27 from the link in the instructions. It should work from a USB drive, but I have not tested.

Ensure you follow the instructions precisely. The disk partitioning is most important. It should be standard partitioning and there should not be any /home partition.

I believe you will be much happier and have less issues going this route. There are screen shots with the install guidance so you should see pretty much the same on your system as you go along.

Happy to help as needed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

njtrophy

Postby njtrophy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:15 pm

This step is not clear to me: "You MUST create the initial user and password (This will be your HDA Login, also called the First Admin User). Ensure you select Make this user administrator check box. Once complete, choose Done. Note that a weak password may require you to select Done twice. "

I know when you login, it is admin. administrator. I also know I have a user name "njtrophy" along with a password I've chosen. Which is the correct information?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:03 pm

I know when you login, it is admin. administrator.
That is for the Express DVD only. You should not see anything in the Minimal Install CD method that states admin/administrator for user info.

When installing Fedora 27, do not create a root password. Just create a user, which will be HDA your first admin user. There is a checkbox as shown in the screen shot where is says "Make this user Administrator" that needs to be selected.

Basically, create a single user and check the boxes.

If you are not following the guidance here, you are in the wrong place.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager