SOLVED: Question on Router setup so apps will work

tbro2

SOLVED: Question on Router setup so apps will work

Postby tbro2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:42 am

On my dd-wrt router.... under DHCP settings, I have three entries (now blank) for "Static DNS 1".. "2"... and "3". Is this where i should put the ip address of my HDA? I assume the word "since" from the wiki (below) should be "search"?

"To do this, since the the DNS settings for the DHCP server in your router and fill them (both primary server and secondary) to be the IP of your HDA.

You should set them both to the IP of the HDA, so that the HDA is your DNS server for all your devices. You will need to still renew Client IP Address or reboot all your client devices to pick these new settings up."

tbro2

Re: Question on Router setup so apps will work

Postby tbro2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:23 am

OK. So I've set up my router to use my hda as DNS. Clients are showing up in the hda network. I've disabled DHCP on my router. Full access to my network and the outside world. Apps (namely piwego) still return and ad when I click on the link provided after install. Please advise.

tbro2

Postby tbro2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:17 pm

Replying to myself here i guess. Anyway, I'm willing to start over again if I have to. Any suggestions? No apps will work. Just displays the same ad... "RealNames"... nothing to do with Amahi. Very curious.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:54 pm

You have to give folks time to respond.

If you need quicker responses, you might consider paid support.

On a DD-WRT router, don't change any DNS settings or turn off the DHCP server. Recommend you set the DHCP server to point to a single address, that of your HDA. I have used DD-WRT in the past and that worked best for me.

Then enable DHCP on the HDA to handle the rest of your network. You may have to reboot your network to get things working correctly.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

tbro2

Postby tbro2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:15 pm

Appreciate the help. I can wait.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:11 pm

Hope the solution worked for you.

Please let us know.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

tbro2

Postby tbro2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:30 am

No Joy here. I've tried many different things on the router to no avail.

Under router settings set "local dns" to 192.168.1.10. Also tried with zeros here (which is default)
Under Network address server settings I've set "Static DNS server" 1 and 2 to 192.168.1.10 (with and without the HDA ip in "local dns")
DNSMasq for DNS checked and unchecked.
With each test I have DHCP enabled on HDA... and DHCP enabled on DD-WRT router.

Rebooted router, Amahi and pc with each combo. No luck. I've have 3 changes to my WAN IP (due to the router reboots I guess). My Amahi control panel seems to have picked those up though. Would I need to reinstall the app I'm testing with each new config? Haven't done that yet. testing with extplorer and piwego.

I have a "domain name" setting in my router. I wonder if I should enter the domain i used when setting up Amahi?

tbro2

Postby tbro2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:13 pm

Well the apps are working. FWIW I believe what fixed the problem was adding some code (to specify my HDA) in the dnsmask settings on the router (obtained via a dd-wrt forum). Also had to set the network adapters on my client pcs to "obtain dns automatically". For some reason, the pcs had a specific set of IPs setup for dns. Might have been from my VPN. Not sure. After spending the last day and a half on dns... I guess I'm all in now. Remote access is next.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:15 pm

That's great news!

Thank goodness for the internet :) I would never have come up with a solution specific to DD-WRT. The DNS thing we would have found eventually via the Network Troubleshooter I believe.

Can we mark this one as resolved?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

tbro2

Postby tbro2 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:01 pm

Yes we can close this. One additional note though. After so many trials and tribulations on the router I finally found that simply configuring the net adapters on my clients to look for a specific IP for dns (specifically 192.168.1.10)... and then have the alternate of either my router (192.168.1.1) or Google 8.8.8.8.... then the internet still works for my pcs if and when I take down the HDA. This way I leave the router set as it was. I realize I have to configure more devices, but as I said, then the Amahi server won't break the whole network if I take it down.