releasing dhcp using dhcp/dns on my amahi server

johny3

releasing dhcp using dhcp/dns on my amahi server

Postby johny3 » Wed May 13, 2020 7:23 pm

hi all
I will be releasing the dhcp and using amahi for dns/dhcp going forward. I have a verizon router. 1 quick question, though. After I do this, will all of my wired devices that are currently connected to the verizon router have to now be connected (via switch) to my amahi server? basically I will have to unplug from the verizon router and plug into the amahi server?
thanks
the reason I ask is I may need another switch :)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: releasing dhcp using dhcp/dns on my amahi server

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:25 pm

After I do this, will all of my wired devices that are currently connected to the verizon router have to now be connected (via switch) to my amahi server? basically I will have to unplug from the verizon router and plug into the amahi server?
No there is nothing that needs to be switched.

Using Amahi for your DHCP/DNS server is as simple as enabling it and disabling the DHCP on your router.

It will be seamless to the devices once they renew the DHCP lease.

To expedite the DHCP release for devices, see Renew Client IP address guidance in the wiki.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

johny3

Postby johny3 » Thu May 14, 2020 4:54 am

After I do this, will all of my wired devices that are currently connected to the verizon router have to now be connected (via switch) to my amahi server? basically I will have to unplug from the verizon router and plug into the amahi server?

Using Amahi for your DHCP/DNS server is as simple as enabling it and disabling the DHCP on your router.

To expedite the DHCP release for devices, see Renew Client IP address guidance in the wiki.
great, thank you!

johny3

Postby johny3 » Thu May 14, 2020 5:15 am

sorry, reading further about the verizon router. won't the router try to renew its DNS when plugged in/powered on?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:44 am

It should not have any affect on the network.

Since DHCP will come fromHDA, the DNS would come from it too. Router DNS shouldn’t have any affect on your network.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

johny3

Postby johny3 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:28 am

hiya!
After a busy week on the frontlines I finally had time to get back to this.
Today, I followed the tutorial in the wiki/read similar things in verizon help articles.
(https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Inte ... d-p/851632)
I am sure I did something wrong since it did not work.
1. released dhcp on my router after logging into it and immediately unplugged the cable (both coax and ethernet) from the router
2. plugged the ethernet cable that was going from the ont into the wan port on my verizon router and plugged it into my server. Then I plugged an ethernet cable from the server into the wan port of the verizon router.
3. even if I restart devices, they do not have internet (wifi or ethernet). attempting to connect to the verizon router wifi gives an error that no ip address could be obtained.
4. connecting via ethernet gives
"ethernet doesnt have a valid IP configuration
the default gateway is not available"
when I run windows diagnostics.
5. I also cannot connect to the HDA this way
the way the ethernet is set up is like this
ont -> server running amahi -> verizon router -> everything else

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Do I need to do something using the IP of the hda'? Maybe they did not fully move my ONT connecting to ethernet - if I switch back the cables but do not connect the coax internet does not work - I think they never moved it to ethernet.
any thoughts?
thank you!

johny3

Postby johny3 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:40 am

issue was with verizon - they had never converted me from coax to ethernet. going to switch to amahi server tomorrow.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:16 pm

Good to hear.

Figured it was on their end.

Please let us know if we can mark this as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager