Backing Up Server to External Drive

amwamahiac

Backing Up Server to External Drive

Postby amwamahiac » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi folks,

I am VERY new to networking and Amahi, but have successfully set up a home server in order to hold all the bulky files I don't want clogging up my laptop (music/pictures). However, as a result, I am now looking for the best way to back up the contents of my Amahi shares to an external drive, to ensure that I don't lose everything, should the old desktop from which I'm running Amahi go "bang".

I've done a search through the help documents and wiki but, between my lack of networking nouse and the fact that my searches all come up with tutorials on using Amahi to back up TO the server, rather than FROM it, I've not turned anything up.

Can anyone advise what the best way to back up the contents of my server would be?

Many thanks,
A

steveblakemore

Re: Backing Up Server to External Drive

Postby steveblakemore » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:49 am

Well there's Amahi Sync. That synchronises selected files and folders to the cloud. I know it's not strictly a backup solution but it will protect those files against server loss. There is also Greyhole, which will give you protection against disk failure in your HDA (assuming you have more than one disk of course!). :)
I have had the free Veeam agent for Linux working on an Ubuntu desktop, but never tried it on my HDA. That might be worth a try, it could back up your entire machine to a USB disk.

Steve

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Backing Up Server to External Drive

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:43 pm

You can try FreeFileSync.

Install it on a Windows client and set to sync files from shares to external drive.

I use it with batch files that run automatically each day to do backups.

if you search the internet, you’ll findbmany free utilities that run on a client for backup.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2