CLOSED: (Some) users unable to log in via Windows 10

markcerickson

CLOSED: (Some) users unable to log in via Windows 10

Postby markcerickson » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi!

I've got my HDA running and have even installed some apps. The problem I'm having is that I'm trying to get several different users set up and logged in on different computers so they can start populating their files onto their shares, but some users are able to log in and some aren't.

The two standard users that log in fine are my wife and me, but neither are admins. (I've reserved using an admin account to only configuration changes.) Yes, the 2 that work are the first ones I made. I have 5 other users for my children and none of them are able to log in to the hda (via Windows Explorer). I just get the username/password prompt telling me that the information is incorrect. I've tried lowercase/proper case usernames and even resorted to changing everybody's password to the same simple one to make sure it wasn't due to funky characters, length limitations, or whatever.

Amahi 11 with whatever the latest OS is...Fedora 27? I just installed everything Friday, 3/16/19.

Result of apaste --sysinfo (should give one or two URLs, sharing the short one is enough) - I don't know how to do this as my system is headless. I plan to get a VPN going later to remote in and do some things (like set up RAID, etc.), but I really don't know Linux well.

Any pertinent log files - I also don't know how to get these. Sorry.

Does anyone have ideas as to why this is happening? Does Amahi only support 3 users (admin + the 2 that work)? Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: (Some) users unable to log in via Windows 10

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:08 am

Are the users on the same Windows machine?

If so, you may need to clear credentials after each user.

Can they log into the HDA dashboard with no issues?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

markcerickson

Postby markcerickson » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:22 pm

Thanks for helping me out, bigfoot65.

Can they log into the HDA dashboard with no issues?
-Yes, I can log in with their HDA usernames and passwords via the dashboard.

If so, you may need to clear credentials after each user.
I cleared their credentials just to see what would happen. I was only able to clear credentials as the child I was logged in as. I suppose that's normal...

Are the users on the same Windows machine?
-This makes me wonder if they're supposed to have the same username/password for the HDA that they have for Windows, but I was assuming they didn't have to match. But to answer: I have some of my family members with user accounts in Windows and they have those Windows accounts set up on multiple PCs with the type that maintains all their settings on whatever PC they're on. Some of them don't have a Windows account yet, but I was just trying to set up the HDA with a folder for each. If it helps to understand my thinking, I changed my HDA password for my HDA login to something other than my Windows password to see if that was the issue and I was able to get in to my HDA with that new password. In fact, I cleared credentials and then tried the changed password and it wouldn't let me in. What is going on? I thought that the username and passwords I set on my HDA were what I would need to use to log in via internet explorer to gain access to the files. So then I tried with my child's account with both her Windows password and the HDA one and neither lets me in. I get the popup that I've attached.

Any further guidance would be appreciated. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how user accounts are supposed to access the HDA. Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:50 pm

This makes me wonder if they're supposed to have the same username/password for the HDA that they have for Windows, but I was assuming they didn't have to match.
It works best if the user name and password are the same.
I thought that the username and passwords I set on my HDA were what I would need to use to log in via internet explorer to gain access to the files.
You need to use File Explorer, not a web browser.

Also recommend you set the WorkGroup name on the Windows machine to match the HDA WorkGroup name. There should be guidance in the wiki or you will find help here in the forums. Just do a search.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

markcerickson

Postby markcerickson » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:46 pm

It works best if the user name and password are the same.
The 2 accounts that are accessing the HDA shares just fine show as [first name last name] with spaces in them, yet I'm using just our first names for the HDA usernames. Is there an explanation why some might work and others don't? Surely Windows isn't smart enough to just go off of the first name from the Windows username and match that to the HDA username? I really can't figure out what the difference is. None of the named accounts are admins in either Windows or the HDA.
You need to use File Explorer, not a web browser.
Doh! I meant windows explorer. I've been accessing the HDA shares from windows explorer.
Also recommend you set the WorkGroup name on the Windows machine to match the HDA WorkGroup name. There should be guidance in the wiki or you will find help here in the forums. Just do a search.
Yes, I remember seeing that earlier when poking around through all the options. I just verified that they are both "WORKGROUP". I really have tried to find the answer myself via google and these forums.

One other thing that I'm pretty sure is not related but I'll mention it anyway: I left DHCP on my router, but am letting the HDA be the DNS server. So short names work (i.e. "HDA/" from a web browser correctly logs me in to the dashboard). I don't want to lose functionality my router gives, such as limiting certain devices by time, etc.

I have now deleted all the users except for admin and mine. I have left the HDA with a different password than Windows and it won't connect via Windows Explorer using [HDA username] and [HDA password], but I just now tried [HDA username] and [Windows password] and it worked! OK, OK. What is going on?

markcerickson

Postby markcerickson » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:47 pm

Ok, hold off. I'm deleting even my main non-admin account and re-doing my users and individual shares slowly. So far, 2 accounts are working with the HDA password via Windows Explorer. I wonder if creating 7 accounts so quickly together messed things up, because I changed passwords for all of them and still had problems. I'll post back results when I finish tomorrow.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:08 am

Progress is good.

Will standby for an update.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

markcerickson

Postby markcerickson » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:34 pm

I've been sidetracked with other things, but I think everything was OK once I slowly created users and slowly created shares to assign to each user. I don't know if it was just a timing thing or what, but all seems well enough for now. I haven't thoroughly tested it, but it has worked with 3 users so far. Working = correct passwords with correct permissions logging into the HDA shares.

Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:50 am

Great.

Marking thread as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager