CLOSED: Installing apps is puzzling

Scooby51

CLOSED: Installing apps is puzzling

Postby Scooby51 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:05 pm

The apps that show $0.00 cost don't appear to have any way to install. Not willing to spend $$ yet - Just burned an afternoon.

Seems like I installed Fedora 25, and Amahi 10 fine. Get to the Dashboard, but the install never showed up on the Control Panel
Chose not to use DNS and DHCP initially, trying to temper my investment. Literally have over 25 devices attached to my router.

Was trying to tinker around and ended up deleting the HDA in the control panel, tried to recreate and now I have a new install code. Figure I'm pretty screwed now. This probably isn't for me, but thought I'd share anyway.
4 - 5 year old videos on YouTube don't help a much, and don't appear to address the intricacies of app installs.

If anyone has a silver bullet, I may check back, otherwise - Best of luck to you folks.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Installing apps is puzzling

Postby cpg » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Well, there was a thread attempting help by email, the last one extremely detailed, so I am not sure why the tone of this email is slanted in the way it is.

Repeating ... Your HDA did not come online because it had incorrect or otherwise blocked access to the internet. This is 100% clear. Without that, it cannot retrieve the list of your apps and any other apps available without a fee.

So far, there was no information produced that would allow us to debug why the device has no internet access. We also pointed you to the network troubleshooting. E.g. IP of the device, routes, IP of the gateway, etc.

I'd say there has been no lack of effort to reach you to help you ... :D
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

Scooby51

Postby Scooby51 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Yes, there was a multiple email exchange last night in response to this post. The response level to my question/post was outstanding.

I think my biggest problem was that I used a IP of 192.168.0.110.
Quoting the email
"This is just inside the area we strongly recommended to you not to use while you configured your server in amahi.org. the default is .10 and we warn about going above 99. Above 99 is reserved to be use only for dynamic leases, not the static IP of a server. This is an indication that things may not be ok already (though typically, for complex reason, that conflict does not arise for a while, until 10+ clients come up with leases)."

I deleted the HDA, and reinstalled a new one using the recommended 192.168.0.10. This one appeared to install just fine. I did see the warning in the set up screen about not using the range above 99 - I missed it the first time. It had gotten late, so I went to bed.
Early this evening, I powered up the HDA, and it appeared to sync up with the Amahi control panel, and I was able to install apps. So the problem has been resolved.

My apologies for the tone in the original post. I was frustrated, and I think I was my own worst enemy, but I was honestly not trying to flame anybody. The work that has gone into this product is tremendous, but it still may be over my head for the skills required to set it up and use it.

The two pieces of information that would have helped me close the gap would be:
#1 - Once properly configured and installed, you should see the HDA status in the Control Panel change to "Running" (or whatever it means to move from "Waiting" to "Running")
#2 - On the HDA - The "Get Apps" brings you to the App Catalog, and "Install Here" is where you install apps that are free or have already purchased.

As a newbie, with experience in other app stores, I didn't understand how to "get" a free app in the paid portal. I kept looking for a "Get" button on the free apps. And because of the problem mentioned above, the "Install Here" was blank and I didn't know why

Finally if the install tutorial could have continued through the final few steps of orienting me to the HDA, the Apps, etc, that would have also been a huge help.

Appreciate the help in getting it set up. Still working through some challenges, but past the app install issue.

Thanks

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:42 am

Thanks for the feedback. We will get to improving the install experience sooner or later. We do feel the frustration that some users experience. This is in part why we try to reach out and understand things more in depth. Maybe we should not allow anything above .99. However, some people have strong feelings about putting any restrictions on what they can do with their network and take things to heart.

No offense taken. Thanks again.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Sounds like this is resolved.

Marking as closed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2