Transitioning

ChapelHeel66

Transitioning

Postby ChapelHeel66 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Repurposing a Dell server that was retired at my job and using it to learn about networking/servers etc.

Installed Fedora 25 and Amahi 10 successfully. All the pings from the HDA show connectivity and the HDA is visible from my Windows machine that's cable-connected to the router. However, after reading everything I can find on the Amahi site (and elsewhere), and struggling with it for several days, I can't figure out how to access the server from my Windows machine's browser.

I don't see anywhere in my Comcast/Xfinity router's settings, that allows me to turn off DHCP.

I've tried the alternative, from this page (https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Transition_to_Amahi), which is hard to follow because there's a typo that causes the second sentence to not make sense), but I think this is the same concept suggested for Airport Express when DHCP cannot be disabled (https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Airport_express), i.e., you trick the router into only giving out the HDA's IP address.

I have created a Reserved IP Address (equal to my HDA's IP address) for my HDA's MAC address in the "Connected Devices" setting on my router. If I run ipconfig, the common HDA domain name I selected shows up as the "Connection-specific DNS suffix," so that sounds promising. Plus, all the connected devices on my network (including the Windows machine and the router) now have names that include the HDA domain name I selected (e.g., my home machine shows up on the network now as home.[myHDAdomainname].net. So then I set the beginning and end DHCP address for my local IP network (IPv4) to my HDA's IP address. I run ipconfig /release, followed by ipconfig /renew. Still doesn't work. Is the IPv4 Address supposed to change when I do that? It is the same as before I did the release and renew, and it's also outside the DNS range I set.

The Comcast router seems pretty sophisticated, and I'm clearly not (in this area). I feel like I've followed all instructions, so what am I missing?

Thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Transitioning

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:49 am

I've tried the alternative, from this page (https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Transition_to_Amahi), which is hard to follow because there's a typo that causes the second sentence to not make sense)
What is the typo? I would like to correct it.
So then I set the beginning and end DHCP address for my local IP network (IPv4) to my HDA's IP address. I run ipconfig /release, followed by ipconfig /renew. Still doesn't work.
You may need to cycle your network. Best way to do this is shut off everything except the modem/router. Reset it, then turn on the HDA and ensure it gets the correct IP address before turning on any client devices. Recommend you start with a single client and ensure it's working correctly before proceeding.

BTW, ensure you enable advanced settings. Also ensure in the Network tab, you have DHCP server checked.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2