Opps, I chose the wrong home domain name; now what?

amielgoldberg

Opps, I chose the wrong home domain name; now what?

Postby amielgoldberg » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:23 am

Hello. I'm new to the Amahi.org community and have been working to better understand how to use the product in my home. I've come to realize that I made a fundamental mistake setting up my HDA server and was hoping someone here could help me resolve the issue.

I've chosen a domain name for my home domain that is already in use on my network - I.e. my personal domain that I purchased at GoDaddy. It seems that the DNS server is having trouble telling when to respond with an internal vs an external IP address. (More background to follow.) Is there a way to change my HDA's home domain name without resetting up everything? Also, I've purchase and installed a number of apps, which is how I discovered the conflict, and I'm reluctant to loss my investment if I have to reset up my Amahi.org account.

Regarding the DNS server, I haven't used the HDA DNS server but prefer to use my Linksys EA6700 DNS server - for the moment. I assume at some point I'll make the switch, but for the moment I'd like to stick with what I know - and I have a lot of custom setting configured that will take time to learn and implement on the HDA side.

Appreciate any sage advice from this forum.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Opps, I chose the wrong home domain name; now what?

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:16 am

Is there a way to change my HDA's home domain name without resetting up everything?
Sorry that is not currently an option. Reinstall is the only way.
lso, I've purchase and installed a number of apps, which is how I discovered the conflict, and I'm reluctant to loss my investment if I have to reset up my Amahi.org account.
Once you purchase an application, you have access to it for all Amahi versions. As long as you don't create a new amahi.org account, they will be there after a reinstall.

The HDA profile is separate from your amahi.org account, so you can delete it and create a new one without loss to installing those apps.
I haven't used the HDA DNS server but prefer to use my Linksys EA6700 DNS server - for the moment.
It's your choice, but realize there are some capabilities you will lose by not using the HDA DNS server. See the #Amahi FAQ.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2