Amahi HDA on new network

pfinlay

Amahi HDA on new network

Postby pfinlay » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:16 pm

I just moved countries and am trying to get my Amahi HDA back up and running, so far without success.

I have a Hitron CDA3 modem running into a TP-Link Archer C7 router. I had the Archer C7 at my previous location where everything worked, but the Hitron is new. I had to reset the Archer as well and redo the network to get networking going before I dug out the hda server as well.

Today I fired up the hda box and plugged it into the Archer C7 which now has DHCP disabled. I tried accessing my hda landing page and I got a google search instead, a clear sign my hda is not controlling DNS. I released my ip and then renewed my ip, but the renewal timed out. Now I can't access anything on my laptop (on my wife's atm, haven't renewed her ip yet) either online or on the hda. I tried using putty to access the ip of the hda with no luck.

I don't see any configurable settings on it but do I need to do anything to the Hitron to get this working? Special settings to the Archer I may have forgotten about? If there's anything obvious I'm missing please let me know. I really don't want to blow the hda away and start fresh if I can avoid it!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi HDA on new network

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Is the IP Address and subnet the same on the router as before?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

pfinlay

Postby pfinlay » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:04 pm

Probably not. I had to reset the router and set the wifi network back up from scratch.

pfinlay

Postby pfinlay » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Probably not. I had to reset the router and set the wifi network back up from scratch.
Wait, maybe? Won't the router always have the same IP Address (192.168.0.1 or similar)? This isn't even the same router I had when I first created the network. I replaced the original awhile ago with the Archer C7 and had no issues at the time... Is the new modem somehow causing issues?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Could be. Recommend you power off everything and restart in order. Modem, router, HDA, and then the client.

Check that the client is getting IP address from the HDA.

Does the modem have a built in router? That can cause issues.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

pfinlay

Postby pfinlay » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:55 am

Followed your instructions but no good. After rebooting my laptop it still had the IP from the router so I released it and then renewed it but the renew timed out failing to find a dhcp server.

I changed the router's gateway ip to match what was on my amahi.org account page too, but this hasn't helped.

My modem doesn't have an internal router, it's "bridge only" I'm told.

Thanks so much for your help and any further suggestions, I really love my amahi hda!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Recommend you disconnect the HDA and get your modem and router working with your network. Have the router DHCP server enabled and get your clients working with the internet. Next take notice if the IP Address and subnet that is being used to see if it's the same as set on the HDA. If so, they power on the HDA, enable the DHCP server on it, disable the DHCP server on your router, and then renew the IP address on your client. Once the client is getting the DHCP lease from the HDA, you should be good.

If the IP address/subnet is different that on your HDA, you might be able to change it on the HDA. There is guidance for doing that if needed in the #Amahi wiki.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

pfinlay

Postby pfinlay » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Recommend you disconnect the HDA and get your modem and router working with your network. Have the router DHCP server enabled and get your clients working with the internet. Next take notice if the IP Address and subnet that is being used to see if it's the same as set on the HDA. If so, they power on the HDA, enable the DHCP server on it, disable the DHCP server on your router, and then renew the IP address on your client. Once the client is getting the DHCP lease from the HDA, you should be good.

If the IP address/subnet is different that on your HDA, you might be able to change it on the HDA. There is guidance for doing that if needed in the #Amahi wiki.
In my Control Panel on Amahi.org it says:

Network 192.168.1.*
HDA IP Address 192.168.1.101
Network Gateway 192.168.1.1

so I've set the gateway for my router to be 192.168.1.1 The devices on my LAN are getting IPs like 192.168.1.103 etc. from the router with DHCP on so I assume it's similar to what is set in the HDA since it has IP 192.168.1.101 BUT, because it's headless I can't get to it except through the network, so I can't confirm this. I have no idea why it would be different though. It's been a while but I think I had the DHCP in the HDA set for something like 192.168.1.150 and up... gonna soldier on.

After powering on the HDA and disabling the DHCP in the router I released my IP then reconnected to the network. I got an IP like 169.254.11.180 which seems bizarre and doesn't ring any bells. I tried pinging 192.168.1.101 in case this was the HDA but got rejected, and typing hda into the address bar got me nowhere.

It seems pretty critical that I be able to get onto my hda to see what the DHCP settings are like. How can I do this now that it's headless? Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:21 pm

I got an IP like 169.254.11.180 which seems bizarre and doesn't ring any bells.
That's the IP address from the ISP.

What you will need to do is power down everything, then cycle it back on as mentioned before. This time, leave the DHCP off on the router and power on the HDA. Let things settle, then try powering on your client.
It seems pretty critical that I be able to get onto my hda to see what the DHCP settings are like. How can I do this now that it's headless?
The only way is to check those settings easily is via http://hda/ using a web browser from your client. Since you cannot connect, that won't work obviously. Maybe once you reset the network, you will be able to access.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

pfinlay

Postby pfinlay » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:10 am

I've tried what you suggest many different ways now (not connected to the modem, different order, different wait times, etc.) but still no luck. There must be a mismatch in the settings somewhere between the hda and the router? I'm basically resigned to having to wipe out my hda and start again. If I do this, is it possible to save my files and shares? They were in a greyhole configuration on three USB drives. Please say yes, if I lose that data my wife will kill me!