SOLVED: Password Issues

FstrThanYours

SOLVED: Password Issues

Postby FstrThanYours » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:53 pm

I can login to the HDA dashboard at hda.home.com with no issues. I can also login to Fedora via terminal- both with my primary admin account.

My issue is that I can't login to my shared folders via Finder on my Mac with my main account. I created a "test" user and it lets me get to the shares with read/write. This was fine, but now I need to complete a "su" command and it won't take my password their either, it says "authentication failure". I think the issues must be related.

I tried to update my password in the Amahi Home Servers> Users and it says it updates, but i still am having issues.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

FstrThanYours

Re: Password Issues

Postby FstrThanYours » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:03 pm

so, i just tried my Amahi web password in Finder and it worked- i now can get to shares via Finder.

Still having issues in Fedora terminal though. It lets me login with main "username" and password. It then changes to "username@localhost". when i type "su" it asks for password again. The same password does not work and I have no clue what it could be?

Thanks agains

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:12 pm

when i type "su" it asks for password again.
If you followed the install guidance precisely, you should have included your user as an Administrator. That would allow you to do:

Code: Select all

sudo su -
and use the same password as the user.
By default, the password for root user was not set up during install. If you want to set one up, do the previous command and then issue once authenticated:

passwd
Enter the password you want for root and then use that password when doing:

su
I recommend you not set up a root user and use your user authentication as described above. One less password to remember.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:51 pm

Also, the password for your HDA users are all sync'ed when changed from the Dashboard > Setup > Users area (system, as well as SAMBA (the Finder)).

If you had changed a password from the command line, that only changes the system password and does not sync up with SAMBA (Finder) passwords, so they would become out of sync if changed from the command line.

Just a clarification. Always change the password from the Dashboard area.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

FstrThanYours

Postby FstrThanYours » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:10 am

bigfoot- thanks

I had issues and ended up wiping and doing a total clean re-install of Fedora. I'm 99.9% sure I checked the admin box, but if i did screw it up....is there a way to make my main user and admin without completely reinstalling?

I already transferred a bunch of files to my share so I'd like to avoid having to reinstall but if its going to cause issues moving forward, id rather just start over and do it right.

what do you recommend?

thanks again

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:17 pm

what do you recommend?
If you did not make your user admin and did not set a root password, there may be no work around. A reinstall may be the only option.

Easiest way to tell is do:

sudo su -
Enter your password and if it comes up as root user, you are good.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:13 pm

I believe that if there is no root user/pw created explicitly, the system does create a password for root and it's the same as the main user created during installation.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

FstrThanYours

Postby FstrThanYours » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:28 pm

what do you recommend?
If you did not make your user admin and did not set a root password, there may be no work around. A reinstall may be the only option.

Easiest way to tell is do:

sudo su -
Enter your password and if it comes up as root user, you are good.
yep, that worked. the instructions i was following from the wiki said type "su" and it didn't work. "sudo su -" did the trick

thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:33 pm

Great to hear.

Can you tell us what wiki page reflected su?

Also will mark this thread as solved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

FstrThanYours

Postby FstrThanYours » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:31 am

Great to hear.

Can you tell us what wiki page reflected su?

Also will mark this thread as solved.

https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Transmission
Under the "Adding Transmission to users group" section