SOLVED: OpenVPN working...Now what?

tomtheappraiser

SOLVED: OpenVPN working...Now what?

Postby tomtheappraiser » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:35 pm

This is my first time setting up a VPN. I have successfully got it working, only I can't figure out what to do next.

I want to be able to access my shares while out of the house. I can get to the dashboard, but that doesn't have anyway to actually gain access to the files and folders in my shares. So, how do I do this? I've read a ton of other websites tutorials and all of them only talk about installing the VPN, not how to use one. The really frustrating ones end with a sentence similar to "Now get going on accessing your home servers files!"

Is there some kind of tutorial someone could link me to on what to do with it once it is connected?

Related Question:

When I have my VPN connected at a public hotspot, is it already running through the secure connection of my HDA?

Also...Let's say...hypothetically...a person was to download some Torrents from The Pirate Bay....hypothetically. If that person was doing it from a public hotspot using their VPN, would the DMCA get that person's home IP address or the Hotspots address? Hypothetically.

I should add that I'm using the OpenVPN from a Windows 8.1 client.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: OpenVPN working...Now what?

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:57 pm

You access shares and apps just as if you're doing so from home. The VPN connection gives you secure access.

See storage and file sharing wiki page on how to access shares.

As for the DMCA question, no clue. If you are concerned about doing so then I'd say don't do it :D
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

tomtheappraiser

Postby tomtheappraiser » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:49 pm

I read the wiki and that only tells you how to access them locally. How do I do it through the VPN?

Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:30 pm

I read the wiki and that only tells you how to access them locally. How do I do it through the VPN?
The same way.
You access shares and apps just as if you're doing so from home.
I mentioned this in my previous post.

Shares are \\hda and dashboard is http://hda/.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

tomtheappraiser

Postby tomtheappraiser » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:44 pm

That worked! I didn't realize it was the same as local. That's awesome.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Yes just as I stated earlier.

The intent of VPN is to behave as if your are in your local network.

Marking this as solved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager