desktop on Fedora 21/Amahi 8?

kevinfitzpatrick

desktop on Fedora 21/Amahi 8?

Postby kevinfitzpatrick » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:58 am

Is it possible to install a desktop environment on fedora 21/amahi 8 that can be accessed remotely?

The reason I want to do this is to be able to access Crashplan on my headless HDA computer.

When I had Amahi 7 installed with Fedora 19, I was able to install a desktop environment and use the amahi VNC server app to remotely access to the desktop. This would allow me to access and configure Crashplan on my HDA computer.

When I tried to install the amahi VNC server app after upgrading to Amahi 8, I saw the warning on the VNC app that it should not be installed with Amahi 8.

I have tried using the instructions on the Amahi Crashplan wiki for configuring crashplan on a headless computer. However, I have not bee able to get that method to work. After following the portforwarding/SSH connection instructions, I get an error when trying to confirm the connection with the telnet command, and when I open Crashplan on my local computer (after changing all of the configurations recommended in the instructions), it does not show the settings for the remote computer.

For me it was much easier when I could access the desktop on the headless computer through VNC, and then configure Crashplan that way. I would love to be able to do that now that I have upgraded to Amahi 8, but I'm not sure if that is possible.

Thanks for your help.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: desktop on Fedora 21/Amahi 8?

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:33 am

I would love to be able to do that now that I have upgraded to Amahi 8, but I'm not sure if that is possible.
It may be possible, but strongly discouraged.

Most users who have attempted this path have broken their Amahi 8 HDA. I am sorry, but we cannot be of much assistance with this endeavor.

You could try one of the unsupported Amahi 8 install methods, but we only recommend them as a last resort.

Amahi server is designed to be headless and adding a desktop often causes conflicts that ultimately break the HDA.

Have you checked the Crashplan website for assistance? They do provide headless guidance that might be helpful.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

kevinfitzpatrick

Postby kevinfitzpatrick » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks for your reply. I have used the Crashplan website - following the links from the Amahi Crashplan Wiki page. Unfortunately, I just can't get the SSH/Tunelling method to work.

In the event that I can't get this method to work, do you have a suggestion for alternate backup software that could replace Crashplan?

Thanks for your help!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:02 pm

No worries.

Might check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6353&p=36061&hilit ... lan#p36061

The user there appeared to get it working.

As for other options, your best bet is to use a third party tool for the client. I use FreeFileSync for all my backups to the HDA and works great.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2