SOLVED: Share shortcoming

mangerhome

SOLVED: Share shortcoming

Postby mangerhome » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:49 pm

Apologies ahead of time, as I know there are multiple links and resources for share issues. However, have not been able to resolve (or understand, really) my issue, and I seem to be missing some critical point about shares. (I am not using Greyhole, though had used this in an Amahi 6 set up in the past, which had made accessing disks easy using the pool function).

I have just installed Fedora 21 server (minimal) and set up Amahi 8. Everything boots and accesses fine in my system. I can see the ready- made shares on my windows client and can access those "folders". The install is on an 250 GB separate drive in an HP Proliant Microserver. Using the Disk Wizard App, I have added 2 additional 2TB hard drives. The following is what I see on the partition menu:

Partition Total Free Used Mount Point
/dev/sda1 476 MB 374 MB 72.9 MB (17%) /boot
/dev/sda3 49.1 GB 45 GB 1.56 GB (4%) /
/dev/sda5 178 GB 169 GB 59.3 MB (1%) /home
/dev/sdb1 1.79 TB 1.7 TB 67.3 MB (1%) /var/hda/files/drives/drive1
/dev/sdc1 1.79 TB 1.7 TB 67.3 MB (1%) /var/hda/files/drives/drive2

In formatting the new drives, I have set them to be automatically mounted in the app. When I add files to the ready-made shares (Music, Books, Docs, etc), the files are added to the sda3 partition (e.g. location /var/hda/files/books). When I change the location in the Shares Set Up, for example for Books, to /var/hda/files/drives/drive1/books, any files now added to that folder on my Windows client still seem to be added to the sda3 partition in looking at the changes on the partition menu. However, if I go to the console and ls /var/hda/files/drives/drive1/books, the folder is there, and I can also list the files that have been copied.

How do I get the files onto the sdb1 partition (i.e. the one of the storage disks)? :cry:
Thank you in advance.
Tom

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Share shortcoming

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:11 pm

Not sure I understand your question.

If you want to move existing files from the previous location, you can use command line.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

mangerhome

Postby mangerhome » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:19 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.
The issue is that when I add files to the Books share (folder on my windows client), the used percentage in the /dev/sda3 partition increases, even though the location of the Books share is /var/hda/files/drives/drive1 (partition /dev/sdb1). This is as viewed on the partitions menu of the disk setup tab.

Guess my question is why don't the files go to /sdb1?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:24 pm

So are the files on /dev/sda3 or /dev/sdb1? The share directory still exists in the original location unless you moved it. Did you verify a file is in the new share location and not the old?

What does your /etc/fstab look like?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

mangerhome

Postby mangerhome » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:57 pm

Frankly, I'm not sure how to get to the new disk to verify the location (I'm a bit new to the linux and command line). My /etc/fstab (using nano) does not include the 2 new disks, only original partitions (sda1,sda2,sda3,sda5), not sdb1 and sdc1. I assume that means they were not automatically mounted, so I tried hda-diskmount and mounted them (and the console confirmed they were now mounted).

When checking the size of the share, this is the error I get: "du: cannot access '/var/hda/files/drives/drive1/books': No such file or directory " yet on the console if I list the files within that directory, they are there. If I list the files within the old location (/var/hda/files/) they are not there. Regardless of which location, they appear to be on the sda3 partition. I am not sure how to finally access the sdb1 partition, that is the root (no pun intended) of my problem.
Last edited by mangerhome on Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Did you follow the adding a second hard drive to your HDA guidance or just execute the hda-diskmount command?

When executing that command, it likely mounted the drives in a different location, i.e. drive3, drive4, etc. You have to complete the entire tutorial if you did not.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

mangerhome

Postby mangerhome » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:10 pm

Yes, you're right. I actually thought that the Disk Wizard was an app to be used in place of those instructions, but I was trying to compare my problems with the Wiki, thinking that the shortcoming was only that they didn't mount.

Should I try the "long" way? If so, did I misunderstand the purpose of the app?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:14 pm

That is correct, it is to be the replace for the manual method. However there have been reported issues as I mentioned.

Mounting the disks with the script is only part of the process. On reboot, they will not be mounted unless you add them to /etc/fstab.

Recommend you reboot, follow the manual guidance, then adjust your share paths accordingly. Once you have done that, see if you still have issues.

You can also try the Disk Wizard again instead of the manual method if you prefer. Just remember when you change paths for the shares, may need to manually restart Samba. That can be done via the Dashboard Servers section under the Settings tab.

EDIT: The application was just updated. You might want to try it again and see if it works correctly now.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

mangerhome

Postby mangerhome » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Thanks for all the help. I went through adding both new disks by the manual method and then moving folders and point shares appropriately. Seems to be working now. :P

Again, I appreciate your patience and assistance.

Tom

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:09 pm

No problem. Happy to help and glad you got things working.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager