Running Laptop while lid is closed

Chrisleen

Running Laptop while lid is closed

Postby Chrisleen » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:40 am

I am using a Lenovo T60 Laptop as my HDA, and had envisioned running the system with the lid closed.

When the laptop was running Windows, I was able to set the unit up so the laptop lid could be close, but it was still running.

Now that I have Fedora 19, when I close the lid it goes into hibernation mode. I looked through all the settings on the Fedora GUI and I accessed the BIOS mode of the latptop, during POST, but don't see anything that changes this.

Any ideas on how I might achieve this goal, of closing the laptop but having the system still running?

I was able to set it up so the screen goes dark, but for cleaner install, I want the lid closed.

Thanks!

Chrisleen

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Running Laptop while lid is closed

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:58 am

That is something normally configured by the OS. For example, Windows has settings for what happens when the lid is closed.

You will have to search the internet for guidance.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Chrisleen

Postby Chrisleen » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:18 am

Here is the Resolution:

For GNOME, this is now handled by systemd in Fedora 18+.

As root, edit /etc/systemd/logind.conf.

As root, from the terminal in Fedora 19, I used namo etc/systemd/logind.conf

You're looking for the definition for HandleLidSwitch, it may be commented out.

For newbies new to Linux, if the Line begins with # it is not read by the system. Its just a "comment". In my install of Fedora 19, this had a # in front of the line which has to be removed.

The default is: HandleLidSwitch=suspend

You can set it to ignore, poweroff, reboot, halt, suspend, hibernate, hybrid-sleep, lock or kexec. Since your laptop screen is broken, you just want to set it to ignore, so add this to /etc/systemd/logind.conf:

HandleLidSwitch=ignore

Remember: Linux is case sensitive, so "Ignore" won't work. It must be "ignore".

Then, run systemctl restart systemd-logind, or simply reboot for it to take effect.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:26 am

Good write up. Could you add this to the wiki? That is our primary source for documentation.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2