Installation, partitioning, disk space

RedAlibi

Installation, partitioning, disk space

Postby RedAlibi » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:06 pm

Hello, I just got this installed and after a bit of struggling with a couple of items I thought I had everything up and ready to go. Now, I started adding shortcuts to my shares in my windows explorer. My questions is that I have a 4TB hard drive and I did not change any of the partition settings on installation. When I added my shares short cuts it says I have 30 gigs of free space out of 39 gigs total space. Are my shares on the wrong partition, did I do something wrong on the install. Seems that my shares should be in the 3.5 TB section of remaining space. Sorry, I am very new to this and not quite sure how to proceed. I wanted to put a bunch of my music on the network, but I will fill the 30 gigs of space in no time. I have made the following screen shots to show exactly what I mean. Thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Installation, partitioning, disk space

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:03 pm

Did you install on the 4TB drive or is this a second drive?

There are special formatting requirements for drives over 2TB that must be followed for Linux.

If this is a secondary drive, you have to follow the adding a second hard drive to your HDA guidance in the wiki.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

RedAlibi

Postby RedAlibi » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:21 pm

Nope, I have just the one drive. I wasn't aware of any restrictions on hard drive sizes, but as I said I am really new to networking and linux. So, is there something I can do to make my 4tb hard drive work?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:03 pm

Honestly you would be better using a smaller drive for the OS and Amahi, then add the 4TB for data.

Do the following as root user from command line:

Code: Select all

df -h
That will show how much space is allocated on the drive.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Chrisleen

Postby Chrisleen » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:19 am

I am dealing with a similar issue. I have a 3TB drive that I have mounted to the HDA (Following these directions: https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Adding ... o_your_HDA).

But I am now realizing the issue with over 2TB drives.

In reading this wiki entry it talks about breaking up the drive into smaller partitions. (https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Partitions_Over_2.1_TB)

But my question is: Can you partition a drive that already has data on it without loosing that data?

Also the directions recommend to then format the drive (which raised my question). For newbies like me, the wiki should clarify that this will wipe the drive. Or have as base assumption that the drive does not have any data that is needed.

Thanks!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:42 am

But my question is: Can you partition a drive that already has data on it without loosing that data?
You might try using a Live CD, such as GParted. Youwould boot your system using this CD, then format the large free space as a partition.

Once done, when you reboot back into the HDA, you would need to follow adding a second drive to your HDA to mount the partition.
For newbies like me, the wiki should clarify that this will wipe the drive. Or have as base assumption that the drive does not have any data that is needed.
The wiki guidance is provided by users and is the unsupported method for installing Amahi. The only "Officiall Supported" method is the Express Disc. BTW, the wiki is open, so you can add to the guidance if you would like.

It's really not advisable to use such a large drive for the OS. Best to use a smaller drive and then add the larger drive for data.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Chrisleen

Postby Chrisleen » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:08 am

Thanks Bigfoot65

In my case the 3TB drive is just for data, but I am assuming the greater than 2TB issue is not just for the boot drive but also for data drives. Right?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:47 am

Potentially. I have not tried them myself.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager