Network works after Linux install; not after Amahi install

vogelap

Re: Network works after Linux install; not after Amahi install

Postby vogelap » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:16 am

I apologize that I wasn't clear... Yes, I will do it the way cpg recommended.

bsk

Postby bsk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:41 am

Yea, just do it that way, should not need any special configuration other than your wifi router will be .1.1 and youll need to set your main router to .1.2
Having problems with connecting to the internet? Try the Network Troubleshooter.

Not sure what your Gateway IP? Head on over to the Find Your Gateway IP page to find out easily.

vogelap

Postby vogelap » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:58 am

Thanks! Will try it this evening and will report back!

vogelap

Postby vogelap » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:43 am

So, I reworked my configuration as <cpg> suggested (http://www.drewvogel.com/images/netmap1.jpg), and everything works fine EXCEPT that the HDA doesn't see the network at all.

I tried re-installing Fedora Core 10 on the HDA from the DVD, and when I get to the screen where I can add repositories, I click "Fedora 10 -- i386" or "Fedora 10 -- i386 - Updates", it tries to initialize the network but fails every time.

The only thing I can think is that the cable connecting the WIRELESS router to the WIRED router is going from WIRELESS router port #4 and plugging into WIRED port #4 (my HDA is plugged into WIRED port #3). Do I need to juggle my ports around, or does that even matter?

bsk

Postby bsk » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:45 am

The out port on the wireless router should go into the In port on the wired router. Just like if you were plugging the modem up to it.
Having problems with connecting to the internet? Try the Network Troubleshooter.

Not sure what your Gateway IP? Head on over to the Find Your Gateway IP page to find out easily.

vogelap

Postby vogelap » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:07 am

The out port on the wireless router should go into the In port on the wired router. Just like if you were plugging the modem up to it.
If I do that, do I also need to configure the WIRELESS router's Operating Mode (under Setup->Advanced Routing) to operate in "Router" mode (instead of "Gateway", the default)?

The description from the router is:
Operating Mode: If the router is hosting your Internet connection, select Gateway mode. If another router exists on your network, select Router mode.

The description is confusing because, well, in my situation, I've got BOTH... The router is hosting my internet connection AND I've got another router on the network.

The idea of getting an 8-port wireless router is appealing! ;-)

bsk

Postby bsk » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:31 am

Hooking up 2 routers together is very tricky. Hell plugging up switches that way can be frustrating at times.

You also have to look, sometimes it just cant be done and get the full support of the network.

Best bet would be move more PCs to wireless to cut down on the ports or get an 8port wireless router.