SOLVED: Out of space in "shares"-lots of free space on drive

lancestevens

SOLVED: Out of space in "shares"-lots of free space on drive

Postby lancestevens » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:22 pm

100% newbie - here is the problem. My main use for Amahi will be as a network attached storage server. I have installed on an old PC with a 2TB hard drive. When I look in my HDA control panel I see the following:

/dev/sda1 with total of 190MB and 116MB Free and mount point of /boot
/dev/sda2 with total of 1.74TB and 1.65TB free and mount point of /home
/dev/sda6 with total of 46.GB and 0 bytes free and mount point of /

So - since I am unable to copy any more files to the "share" for pictures -- I must assume that this share is located in the /dev/sda6 location.

How do I access the /dev/sda2 location which has over 1.5 terabytes of free storage?

Thanks - Lance

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Out of space in "shares" - lots of free space on drive

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:39 pm

That is your home partition with all the wasted space. You have a few options.

A. Create a new share at that location (simplest).

B. Resize the partitions to remove the large amount from /home and add it too / partition.

This would have to be done using something like GParted Live CD. It's best when you install Amahi and/or Fedora that you custom build the partitions. That prevents all your drive space going to /home partition.

We recommend that users put the OS and Amahi on a small drive and attach a larger drive for the shares. This is all advanced user procedures, so if you are not one this may be a bit overwhelming.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

lancestevens

Postby lancestevens » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:53 pm

What is the process for creating a new share in the /home mount point? Can this be done from within the control panel?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Mostly. Create a new share and change the path from /var/hda/files/share to /home/user/share.

share = share name
user = your first admin user

You may have to create the folder manually. If so, as root user do:

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /home/user/share
Hope that helps.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

lancestevens

Postby lancestevens » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:17 am

Thanks you so much - the suggestion to create new shares and manually adjust their location worked perfectly. I had no idea that the location of the share was even something that could be edited.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:16 pm

Great to hear. This is not the best solution, but for those with limited Linux experience it works. Ideally you would want to repartition the drive so root has the bulk of the space vs home.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Poser

Postby Poser » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:17 am

Great to hear. This is not the best solution, but for those with limited Linux experience it works. Ideally you would want to repartition the drive so root has the bulk of the space vs home.
I have a similar scenario.

Very, very, very green with linux...but I was able to install, upgrade and configure both Plex and tigerVNC without the "one-click" options (felt it was a great opportunity to learn). I am getting more familiar with bash...and am not particularly concerned with "breaking" the FS.

I have sda5 as / (500gb), sdb1 is /home (4TB).

I would like to shrink sda5 (gparted) to about 50gb (leaving /root intact) format the rest and partition and mount as sda6. Then I would like to pool the sda6 and sdb1 (greyhole) to be seen as a single volume and place all my shares there.

1. What is the "best" way to do this...not "easiest"?
2. Is there a particular reason to keep the shares on the root partition?

EDIT1: Would it be wiser to leave root as is (using all free space) as my greyhole LZ? (~450gb)?

Cheers!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: SOLVED: Out of space in "shares"-lots of free space on d

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:13 pm

I would like to shrink sda5 (gparted) to about 50gb (leaving /root intact) format the rest and partition and mount as sda6. Then I would like to pool the sda6 and sdb1 (greyhole) to be seen as a single volume and place all my shares there.

As long as /sda5 is the last partition on the drive, resizing it and making a new partition should work.
Personally since that appears to be the / partition I would leave it alone. Use it as the Greyhole LZ.

Why do you have sdb1 as /home? I would leave /home directory on / and it can share the 500GB. The sdb1 should be mounted as drive1 or something like that for Greyhole.
This is the default Amahi set up as the shares are located in /var/hda/files which is part of the / partion. No need to move it unless you have a valid reason.

Does that make sense?

Also we have just added a Hard Drive Partition Scheme page to the wiki. This is intended to help users when initially installing Amahi. May not be helpful to you now, but you will see the Amahi team recommendations for partitioning.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

Poser

Postby Poser » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:15 pm

As long as /sda5 is the last partition on the drive, resizing it and making a new partition should work.
Personally since that appears to be the / partition I would leave it alone. Use it as the Greyhole LZ.

Why do you have sdb1 as /home? I would leave /home directory on / and it can share the 500GB. The sdb1 should be mounted as drive1 or something like that for Greyhole.
This is the default Amahi set up as the shares are located in /var/hda/files which is part of the / partion. No need to move it unless you have a valid reason.

Does that make sense?

Also we have just added a Hard Drive Partition Scheme page to the wiki. This is intended to help users when initially installing Amahi. May not be helpful to you now, but you will see the Amahi team recommendations for partitioning.
So far yes.

I saw the wiki, I should have referenced before installing. I did not choose to put /home on sdb1...I just chose to ignore all the conventional wisdom, which said leave all additional drives unplugged until AFTER install. Installer did that.

So let me just see if I follow:

1. Leave root (/) partition as is on sda5
2. Mount /home on same disk as ( / ) as well (I would have to shrink sda5 to allow for the new partition, correct? How much?
3. Use sda5 (/) as Greyhole LZ
4. Mnt sdb1 as hdd1 (do I need to format or clean the partition structure)
5. Finally from what I understand...after both disks are pooled in Greyhole the process works as follows:
a. Add file to /var/hda/files/<share>
b. file will be downloaded/copied/transferred to LZ on root
c. once that operation completes, the file is cp'd to location within diskpool observing #of copies in greyhole.conf
d. finally, once that is complete, new copies are symlinked to /var/hda/files/<share>

Sorry...and thanks. Just trying to get it right.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:20 pm

So let me just see if I follow:

1. Leave root (/) partition as is on sda5
2. Mount /home on same disk as ( / ) as well (I would have to shrink sda5 to allow for the new partition, correct? How much?
3. Use sda5 (/) as Greyhole LZ
4. Mnt sdb1 as hdd1 (do I need to format or clean the partition structure)
5. Finally from what I understand...after both disks are pooled in Greyhole the process works as follows:
a. Add file to /var/hda/files/<share>
b. file will be downloaded/copied/transferred to LZ on root
c. once that operation completes, the file is cp'd to location within diskpool observing #of copies in greyhole.conf
d. finally, once that is complete, new copies are symlinked to /var/hda/files/<share>
Correct, except for #2. You are not mounting /home on sda5 but moving the data to that partition. /home is a directory in this case and will share space with the OS and such.

Not sure if doing all this won't break your HDA. It's best to follow the guidance we provide, especially when it comes to disconnecting all but one drive. Keeps things simple and less hassle in the long run.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager